Worthing Youth vs Newhaven Youth

15 December 2019
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Worthing Youth 3-2 Newhaven Youth

The latest game on Sunday for the Newhaven U 18’s was an away fixture against Worthing U18’S in the League Cup. The squad available was very limited with only 11 players available for various reasons, one of them being our goalkeeper, so one of our mid-field players, Alex C took on that job.

Worthing’s pitch being 3G ensured a good surface to play football and the opening period was fairly even with chances being created by us for Sam and Marley, but the efforts were either saved or went just wide. Worthing then started to gain the upper hand and Alex in goal had to make several good saves in a 5-minute spell to keep us in the game. Marley then had an effort from our goal kick, but his shot went just wide and Worthing had a great chance to score but their shot also went just wide of the post. Half time was approaching when we did score following a move involving Soren who played a great ball forward to Marley who went forward before slotting the ball home.1-0.

We were ahead at half time and the players were congratulated on their performance and work rate but were reminded that as we had no substitutes, they should conserve energy where possible especially as the half progressed. Worthing started the half very positively and took control of the game forcing us back and they hit our post with a great effort early but although they had a lot of possession, they really did not cause Alex in goal to many problems. However, this changed with Alex having to make 3 really good saves in a 5-minute spell to protect our lead but eventually the pressure resulted in Worthing’s equaliser. An attack took place down our right flank and was crossed over for the attacker to slot home. 1-1. This goal knocked us back somewhat and Worthing went for the winner and another effort on our goal thudded against our crossbar and out to safety. Then with 4 minutes of the half left we scored our second goal when then ball was played forward to Sam who went on to score.2-1. The game then went into added on time and Worthing were pressing forward and with a few seconds left were awarded a penalty for a hand ball offence and they duly converted the chance. 2-2 at full time.

This being a cup game there would be an extra half hour playing time and our players had to recover from the late equaliser and to get their tired legs going. Worthing came out of the blocks well and forced Alex to make a good save early and just as this half was to end Sam had a chance to score but his effort went just wide. 2-2. Our players were now very tired, and Worthing were in complete control of the second half and hit our crossbar twice in a minute and eventually their efforts were rewarded with, what was to be, the winning goal. They mounted an attack and the ball was whipped in and the ball was deflected into our goal by one of our players. 2-3. There were no further chances so at the final whistle Worthing had won the game 3-2.

The 11 players had given their all and had played their hearts out and although disappointed to have lost should take great credit and pride in their performance. In the end Worthing deserved to win the game based on their extra time performance but they know they had been given a great game by our depleted squad.

Squad- Alex Coghlin, Soren Bentley (c), Jacob Neel, Alfie Webster, Sam Dunstall, Howard Squires, Jack Pullinger, Marley Ambler, Joey Morris, Marcus Nicholson.