Newhaven Youth vs Westfield Youth

1 December 2019
Score: 6 - 0

Match Report

Newhaven Youth 6-0 Westfield Youth

The U 18’s finally had a game on Sunday after a long break of 7 weeks with a home fixture against Westfield Youth U 18’s. The squad was somewhat depleted because of absences for various reasons and there was a first start for Alex Coghlin and hopes were there to kick start our season with a good performance and a win to gain the three points.

We started positively and created several chances in the opening 6 minutes or so causing the Westfield keeper to make a couple of saves to keep us out. However our pressure finally resulted in a goal after 11 minutes and it came courteously from Marley. He collected the ball on our left flank and cut inside taking on and passing the defenders before slotting home from an acute angle. 1-0. This goal spurred us on and in the following 10 minutes Ollie had a shot well saved, Marley hit one just over the bar and we had a “goal” disallowed for offside. Ollie then sent in a great shot only to see the ball hit one post roll along the goal line hit the other post and deflect away to safety, very unlucky. Steve in our goal had not been too busy but he had to be alert midway through the half to make a good save from a rare attack. Joey sent in a good effort that went just wide and our constant pressure finally resulted in another goal with 5 minutes of the half left to go. Marley attacked the defence and was fouled inside the penalty area and it was he who converted the penalty kick to give us, at halftime, a 2-0 lead.

The general opinion was that after such a long break the football was good but that we needed to increase our tempo and to expect a response from Westfield but that we felt there were more goals in this match. We started on the front foot and pushed them back for the opening period and our efforts were rewarded with a goal on 54 minutes from a free kick. The ball was played across the penalty area from our left and returned where it fell to Alfie to slot the ball home. 3-0. Westfield responded to this goal and created a chance from a counter attack but Steve was equal to it and saved the effort. For the next 15 minutes or so the play was mostly in their half without really creating too much but with 15 minutes to go we did finally score again. Marley collected the ball and again took on the defence before releasing it to Sam who went forward before steering the ball under the keeper to score. 4-0. A minute later we won a corner that was sent over and the ball was met by Alfie to head home. 5-0. There were 6 minutes to go when we scored again and it was Marley who scored following a move started by Joey winning the ball before releasing it to Soren who crossed over for Marley to head home. 6-0. There were no further goals so at the final whistle we had won the game 6-0.

Great credit to both teams for playing in the correct manner on a difficult surface and to Westfield who, despite the score, did not give up at all.

Squad – Steve Beasley, Joey Morris, Jack Pullinger, Marley Ambler, Syd Seymour, Sam Dunstall, Marcus Nicholson, Alfie Webster, Howard Squires, Soren Bentley (c), Jacob Neel, Ollie Tookey, Alex Coghlin.