East Preston Youth vs Newhaven Youth

5 September 2019
Score: 1 - 0

Match Report

East Preston Youth 1-0 Newhaven Youth

The latest fixture for the U 18’s was an away evening game against East Preston in the F A Youth Cup on the ground at Lashmar Road. This was always likely to be a tough game for the team especially following the league loss against Saltdean on Sunday.

The team was very similar to last Sundays apart from Henry Carey, rested because of his slight injury, but his place in the squad was filled by Henry Strong. This was going to be a test for our young players but hopes were high of getting a positive result.  East Preston started the game on the front foot and were soon causing us problems with their attacking style of play and in the first 15 minutes they created several good chances. Their first effort went over our bar, an effort from a corner was cleared off the line by Soren and another corner resulted in a free header which fortunately went wide of the post and Steve in goal had to make a good save. However we did not concede a goal and slowly we gained a foothold in the game and started to match E P efforts and won a free kick which Joey took but although his shot penetrated the wall there was no-one to capitalise the opportunity. Soren then sent in a great cross which was met by Sam but his header went just over the bar. E P then created another good chance but Steve in goal was equal to it. 0-0 at half time.

The players knew that we had started the game poorly but that we had improved as the half progressed and that we needed to continue that into the second half. Also we expected E P to start the half strongly but to ride this period out and then take the game to them. Indeed we started the better and in the opening couple of minutes sent in 2 long range efforts, both just wide. E P then created an attack and Soren was forced to make a great defensive tackle to stop it. Howard then sent in a long range effort that was saved but E P then countered and had an effort go just wide of our post. However it was E P who scored on 19 minutes following good play through mid-field resulting in a shot from the edge of our area which Steve could do nothing about. 0-1. E P were on top at this point and another shot hit our cross bar and out to safety. A gain we reacted and matched them for effort without really creating a great deal of goal bound action until the dying minute when Howard sent in a great shot from range that the keeper just got to. At the final whistle we had lost the game 0-1.

However unlike Sundays loss the whole team should be congratulated for their attitude and effort and never giving up. We need to capitalise this performance against A F C Varndeanians next Sunday and win our first points.

Squad- Steve Beasley, Joey Morris, Marley Ambler, Jack Pullinger, Syd Seymour, Sam Dunstall, Marcus Nicholson, Alfie Webster, Connor Martin, Albi Paris, Howard Squires, Soren Bentley ©, Jacob Neel, Henry Strong.