AFC Varndeanians Youth vs Newhaven Youth

8 September 2019
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

AFC Varndeanians Youth 2-3 Newhaven Youth

The latest match for the U 18’s was another away fixture, in the league, against A F C Varndeanians at the Withdean stadium. Hopes were that the improvement in our performance against East Preston last Thursday would be continued to allow our first points of the season to be won.

There were a couple of changes to the starting 11 which it was hoped would liven our performance especially as the pitch would allow us to play our style of football. The opening minutes were dominated by the V’s and they had their first chance after just 3 minutes but the effort went wide of our goal. They were pressing us back and we were not helping ourselves by giving the ball away cheaply but we did create a chance for Sam but his shot went wide of the post. There followed a great passage of play where Sam sent over a low cross to the far post and Henry C met it and somehow the keeper managed to get to it and make the save. The V’s reacted and from a corner they had a shot go just wide but a couple of minutes later they did score a goal but it was of our own making. We lost the ball just outside our area and the ball was crossed to the far post and slotted in. 0-1. The V’ were again pushing us back and again we did not clear the ball well and they had another attempt on goal but again the effort went wide. Howard then went on a great run down our left flank before crossing the ball to the far post where Henry C met the ball but stabbed his effort just wide of the post. Just before half time Steve managed to make a great save just before to keep us in the game.

The players knew that we had not played to our game plan and had, to some degree ,helped the V’s to press us back and control periods of play but also we had created a couple of decent chances ourselves so if we could up our game we could still win this match.

The second half started and the pattern of play was as in the first half with V’s creating the first chance after a couple of minutes but the shot went wide. Syd then unleashed an effort from range which went just wide of the post but the V’s reacted by scoring their second goal from a cross from a free kick that was met unchallenged for a headed goal. 0-2. There were several changes made to the line up which appeared to galvanise the players somewhat and we started to take the game to the V’s. First an effort from range went just wide then we scored a goal out of the blue. Marcus collected the ball on the half way line and seeing their keeper off his line he fired the ball over his head into the goal, very opportunist. 1-2. This seemed to deflate the V’s somewhat and at last we were able to get more control of the game and created several chances, one Marley headed over the bar but our pressure finally allowed us to score the equaliser. Henry crossed the ball into the area where Joey met it and slotted home. 2-2. We now looked likely to score again and Howard sent in a great effort from range that their keeper saved but again our pressure resulted in a goal.  Marley collected the ball in mid-field and went forward taking on the defence before slotting the ball into the goal. 3-2. In the final minutes we had another couple of chances but somehow their keeper was equal to them and made very good saves. At the final whistle we had won the game and registered our first points of the season.

This was a better performance by everyone although we can play better but great credit to all the players for sticking to their tasks and coming back from 2 nil down to win the game.

Squad- Steve Beasley, Marcus Nicholson, Henry Carey, Jack Pullinger, Soren Bentley ( C), Albi Paris, Syd Seymour, Alfie Webster,  Joey Morris, Howard Squires, Connor Martin, Henry Strong, Jacob Neel, Sam Dunstall, James Lay.