Ringmer Youth vs Newhaven Youth

18 March 2018
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

Ringmer U18 2-3 Newhaven U18 (HT 2-2)
Sam Wilinson (42), Luke Usherwood (45); Alfie Haggar (13), Joshua Silva-Carvalho (38, 51)

The match on Sunday was the away return fixture against Ringmer at the Caburn Ground where we were hoping to continue our winning format.

This fixture is usually a very competitive affair between two local rivals with Ringmer being very difficult to overcome on their home pitch.

The squad was a very familiar one although we were missing Aaron through suspension and Spencer through injury but there was a new player, Kirk Staley in the squad.

We kicked down the slope in the first half and it was Ringmer who took control of the game from the start and were pressing us back and causing Peachy in goal to make the first really important save.

They were attacking us strongly and won several corners that we managed to clear without conceding a goal. Then after 13 minutes, against the run of play, we scored our first goal when the ball was played from the midfield up to Alfie H, who collected the ball and drove past the defenders to slot home. 1-0.

This deflated Ringmer somewhat but they again started to attack us and Peachy had to make another good save to keep us ahead and the follow up shot went high over the bar. Slowly we got into the match but there were a lot of niggly fouls from both sides and the pattern of play was often interrupted because of these.

However, we scored our second goal after 38 minutes when Josh received the ball on our left flank and he took on the defence and scored from long range. 2-0.

Ringmer were really taken back by this as they had competed really well but they kept on pressing us with the half time approaching and were rewarded with two goals in the final 5 minutes of the half.

The first came from a cross which Peachy fumbled and an attacker just prodded the ball home and the second came from a cross that was not cleared and a striker slotted home. 2-2.

The players, at half time, were somewhat crestfallen having let a two goal advantage slip and they were reminded to concentrate on the football rather that giving needless fouls away but they were good enough to win this game.

They did listen because we were more assertive from the start and were rewarded with a penalty when Josh was brought down in the box and he took the resultant spot kick. However his effort hit the post then the keeper and Josh reacted quickest to slot the ball home. 3-2.

The game then got very niggly and several cautions were given out by the referee to players of both teams and unfortunately, in his debut, Kirk picked up two and was sent off.

This resulted in us playing the final period of the game with 10 men but despite some pressure we managed to hold on and Peachy in goal kept us ahead with a brilliant save deep into the match.

A very hard fought match, as expected, but despite this not being one of our better performances we had secured the vital three points that keeps us in touch with Rottingdean who we play next week.

Newhaven: Louis Peach, Tom Cooklin, Alfies Haggar, Toby Hunter, Stephen Nash, Louis Bass, Scott Pook, Toby Potter-Drake, Josh Silva-Carvalho, George Squires, Kirk Staley, Joe Still, George Todd (c), Drew Wain, Harry Woodward.