Newhaven Youth vs Peacehaven Youth

25 February 2018
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Newhaven U18 3-2 Peacehaven and Telscombe U18 (HT 1-1)
Alfie Haggar (2), Harry Woodward (65), Scott Pook (68); Lucas Tyrrell (32, 82)

The team returned to league action this week with a home fixture against local rivals Peacehaven U18s.

This match is always a tightly contested fixture being a local derby and the respective league placements mean very little.

As is usual there were changes in the squad with George Todd missing and Spencer Wallis injured but Rob Malila was available. The pitch was dry but firm and rather bobbly so these conditions would affect the players’ abilities at times.

We got off to a bright start and pressed Peacehaven back and were rewarded with a goal after just two minutes. We built an attack on our right flank and the ball was played into Alfie H to control and volley home, just the start that we wanted.

A few minutes later Alfie had another chance but this time his effort was well saved, so a very good opening ten minutes. However, we then relaxed too much and allowed Peacehaven to gain a foothold in the match and on 20 minutes Louis in goal had to make a smart save.

Alfie then went on a great run and sent over a very inviting cross but no one could connect with it and the chance was gone.

However, Peacehaven were much more into the game and were forcing us onto the defensive more and they were rewarded with the equaliser on the half hour mark. An attack came down our left flank and the ball crossed over and hit the post and rebounded kindly to one of their strikers to slot home. 1-1.

We needed to respond and just before half time Drew created a chance but he completely missed the ball and a goal kick was the result. Our cause was not helped when right on half time Aaron got himself sent off for two yellow card offences.

The feeling at half time was that Peaceahven appeared to want the ball more and were winning a lot of 50-50 challenges but that if we upped our tempo we could still get a positive result from this match even being a player short.

The pattern of play for the opening minutes was much the same as the first half but slowly we did start to dominate more and created our first chance after eight minutes when Keddie sent in a great shot but the keeper made a good save.

However, our pressure did result in two goals in a three minute spell. The first came from a corner taken by Josh with the ball finding its’ way to Harry to slot home and the second came after yet another run down the flank by Alfie before crossing the ball over for Scott to collect and score. 3-1.

Peacehaven were stunned somewhat but they did respond with a second goal from a free kick just outside the area and the chance was converted with a very good shot.

Both teams were looking for the goal that would either increase our lead or draw the scores level and both had chances to achieve that. Rob sent a great cross over but the ball just eluded everyone and Peacehaven had a great chance to score just before full time but both efforts were not taken.

At the final whistle we had managed to hold out and get the win. Not one of our better performances but taking the fact that we had played the whole of the second half with ten players the whole team can take a lot of pride in getting the win.

Newhaven: Louis Bass, Keddie Croft, Alfie Haggar (c), Toby Hunter, Rob Malila, Stephen Nash, Louis Peach, Scott Pook, Toby Potter-Drake, Josh Silva-Carvalho, George Squires, Drew Wain, Aaron Winser, Harry Woodward.