Newhaven Youth vs Felpham Colts Youth

12 November 2017
Score: 5 - 0

Match Report

Newhaven U18 5-0 Felpham Colts U18 (HT 0-0)
Alfie Keelin (48), Alfie Haggar (62), George Squires (70), Keddie Croft (80), Drew Wain (89)

The match this Sunday was a County Cup game at home against Felpham Colts in which a win would help to extend the team’s season.

The squad was much the same as usual other than the absence of Josh and the team that took to the field were all first year players.

We started brightly with an early effort from Drew going just wide and although we had the ball in the back of the net a couple of minutes later it was ruled out for offside.

Another couple of efforts were created in the next phase of the game but George S’ shot was saved and Alfie K’s shot just wide but the game then went into stalemate with us probing their defence which held firm.

It appeared that Felpham were happy to give ground and allow us to have the ball in the midfield area but their defence were very well organised and proved very difficult to break down.

However, the players kept to the game plan and continued to play the ball around looking for the breakthrough but it was not until the final ten minutes of the half that we again created several chances.

George S had a shot saved and just before half time the Felpham keeper made an excellent save form an Alfie H effort. 0-0 at half time.

Although we had not scored the message to the players was a positive one because they had continued to try and play the ball around and kept to the game plan.

We did need to score first and early if possible to force Felpham to be more adventurous which hopefully we could exploit and after just three minutes we did score.

A free kick was won which was taken by Alfie H and he crossed the ball over and it found its’ way to Alfie K to slot home.

This early goal encouraged us to press forward with greater effect and a couple of efforts were created by Keddie. He first went on a run down our left flank before releasing the ball to Alfie H but he shot over and then he sent another cross over to Drew but his effort was well saved.

However the pressure was growing and we were awarded a penalty for handball and Alfie H strode up to score.

Felpham were beginning to tire and we increased our lead with a goal from George S who met a cross from Drew.

Keddie then got on the score sheet when he collected a great through ball from Alfie K and continued the move forward before slotting home.

The final goal came just before the final whistle from a move started by Toby H down our left flank and he crossed the ball over for Drew to connect with and score. 5-0 at full time.

The overall performance was good because all the players had tried to play the ball as a team throughout and kept their discipline and eventually overcome a resolute Felpham defence.

Newhaven: Joe Still, Keddie Croft, Alfie Haggar, Toby Hunter, Alfie Keelin, Stephen Nash, Scott Pook, Toby Potter-Drake, George Squires, George Todd (c), Drew Wain, Spencer Wallis, Aaron Winser, Harry Woodward, Louis Bass.