Newhaven Youth vs Ringmer Youth

15 October 2017
Score: 6 - 1

Match Report

Newhaven U18 6-1 Ringmer U18 (HT 2-0)
Alfie Keelin (7), Josh Silva Carvalho (13), Aaron Winser (PEN 73), Spencer Wallis (78), Alfie Haggar (80, 90); Lorcan Cotterill (PEN 60)

The latest fixture for Newhaven U18s was a home match against one of our local rivals Ringmer U18s, who had made a steady start to the season having only conceded five goals so far.

After the defeat last week against Eastbourne it was vital that the team responded positively and tried to get back into our normal game.

As is usual there were a couple of changes to the squad with Rob returning and a couple of absentees. The opening few minutes saw Ringmer press us back and a lot of action was centred on the touchline with a lot of throw ins but no real threat to our goal.

Then we decided to start playing and press Ringmer back and we were rewarded with a goal after seven minutes from a corner taken by Aaron and Alfie K met the cross to score.

This goal encouraged us to press even more and we scored again when Josh went on one of his long mazy runs and unleashed a shot from range that went under the keeper.

This was a purple patch for us but despite some very good approach play we did not cause the Ringmer keeper too much trouble. Indeed the game became rather scrappy with play being interrupted through fouls and resulting free kicks which seemed to favour Ringmer rather than us.

Half time came and we were leading 2-0. The players were reminded to up our performance and get back to our pressing style and take the game to Ringmer.

Well the start to the second half was positive with Spencer having a couple of shots early, one going wide and one being saved. However, it was Ringmer who scored the first goal of the half from a penalty award and despite Joe going the right way the ball just eluded him for the goal.

This spurred us back into action and we were awarded a penalty of our own when Josh was fouled after another of his runs, Aaron stepped up and scored.

We were now in control of the game and scored again five minutes later when Louis sent a great ball through to Spencer who took the ball forward before scoring.

A couple of minutes later we again scored through Alfie H following great play out of defence, he collected the ball continued forward and slotted home.

The final goal came just on full time when an attack was partially cleared with the ball hitting the bar but it fell to Alfie H to convert the rebound.

There were no further goals so at the final whistle we had secured a 6-1 win. The team is to be congratulated on their response and it sets us up nicely for the return fixture against AFC Uckfield Town next Sunday.

Newhaven: Joe Still, Louis Bass, Alfie Haggar, Toby Hunter (c), Alfie Keen, Rob Malila, Stephen Nash, Toby Potter-Drake, Josh Silva-Carvalho, George Squires, Brad Tait, George Todd, Drew Wain, Spencer Wallis, Aaron Winser, Harry Woodward.