Hailsham Town Youth vs Newhaven Youth

24 September 2017
Score: 3 - 6

Match Report

Hailsham Town U18 3-6 Newhaven U18 (HT 0-2)
Luke Broughton 65, 88, Ben Curtis 80; George Todd 10, 67, Drew Wain 43, Alfie Haggar 58, Spencer Wallis 80, Alfie Keelin 90

The fourth match for the Newhaven U18s on Sunday was another away fixture against Hailsham U18s at The Beaconsfield ground and the hope was to continue our good start to the season.

There were a couple of changes to the squad with Josh missing after his first team game on Saturday and a couple of players missing for various reasons but an inclusion for Drew Wain.

After Thursday evening’s hard earned win over AFC Uckfield expectations were high that we could continue our winning start to the season.

The match started slowly with most of the play in the midfield area but after ten minutes we were awarded a corner from which the ball found its’ way to George Todd on the edge of the area and he steered the ball past the keeper.

Again the play was evenly matched but we did create another chance when Aaron pinged a ball forward to Toby H whose subsequent cross was met by Alfie H but his effort was well saved.

Alfie then had another chance after the ball was played up our right flank to him, he turned and went inside but his shot was again well saved. A minute later Toby H went forward on our left flank and crossed the ball over and Spencer controlled the ball but his shot went over the bar.

Just before half time we scored our second goal and started with Spencer going up our left flank and sending in a shot that the keeper saved but he pushed the ball into the path of Drew who shot home.

Right on half time we were awarded a free kick that Aaron took on but his shot was well saved. 2-0 at half time.

Although we were ahead the team was advised that the first half performance was too slow and lacking in energy and improvement was required in the second half.

It was Hailsham that started the half well and Joe in our goal had to make a good save form a close range effort within the first minute.

We then gained some control again and Spencer had another shot well saved but another goal looked likely and this was scored on the 58th minute. Toby PD played a great pass through to Alfie H who took the ball forward before slotting past the advancing keeper.

We were in control at this point and we scored our fourth goal after 67 minutes from a free kick taken by Aaron whose shot hit the bar and the rebound found George T to score.

This woke Hailsham up and they scored a goal a couple of minutes later when a long pass eluded all of our defenders and their striker scored.

Spencer then had another effort go over the bar but he did score when he attacked up the flank before cutting inside and beat the keeper on his near post.

Toby H then had a shot hit the bar but it was Hailsham who scored again from a corner and they scored a third goal just a minute later from shot that beat Joe on his near post.

The scoring was not yet over because just as the final whistle was about to go Alfie K collected the ball in midfield and took on the defence before placing the ball past the keeper.

The final whistle went and we were 6-3 winners so continuing our good start to the season. Not our best performance but a win is a win.

Newhaven: Joe Still, Jimmy Collingbourne, Toby Hunter (c), Alfie Haggar, Alfie Keelin, Korben Langridge, Stephen Nash, Scott Pook, Toby Potter-Drake, George Squires, Brad Tait, George Todd, Drew Wain, Spencer Wallis, Aaron Winser, Harry Woodward.