AFC Uckfield Town Youth vs Newhaven Youth

21 September 2017
Score: 1 - 4

Match Report

AFC Uckfield Town U18 1-4 Newhaven U18 (HT 1-0)
Matthew Astle 44; Josh Silva-Carvalho 46, 70, 73, Henry Thompson 86

The third fixture for Newhaven U18s was an away game against last year’s champions AFC Uckfield Town at The Oaks.

This fixture has always been a very difficult one for us with most of the previous matches being evenly contested with both teams trying to play football.

As is usual there were some changes to the personnel but the squad was a very strong one and the hope was to extend our very positive start to the season.

We started very brightly and our first shot by Alfie H went just wide of the goal and shortly after Josh went on one of his runs and his subsequent cross was headed over the bar.

During the next 15 minutes or so we took the game to Uckfield and one of our efforts hit the bar and went out to safety. Uckfield then got into the game and started to press us somewhat and on the 20 minute mark had a goal disallowed for offside, a let off for us, and we responded with Josh having a shot well saved.

Uckfield then took the game to us again and managed to hit the post with an effort and their pressure resulted in a goal right on the half time whistle when we failed to clear the ball and they managed to scramble it into our goal.

The players were somewhat down about this after playing some very good football during the half but they were told that they were very much in this game and to get at Uckfield early and we could win this match.

Well for the second week we scored in the first minute of the half when Scott went on a run down our right flank before crossing the ball over for Josh to slot the ball home.

Game on and shortly after following more great play from Josh we hit the post from a Spencer effort. We were on top now and only a great save by the Uckfield keeper kept them in the game but we kept pressing and restricting Uckfield to counter attacks that had to be dealt with effectively.

However, our pressure finally resulted in another goal on the 70 minute mark with Spencer going forward before crossing to the far post where Josh collected the ball to score.

A few minutes later Josh scored his, and the team’s, third goal following good play by Alfie before crossing over for Josh to stab the ball home.

Uckfield were somewhat crestfallen but still was trying to play football but we were managing to restrict their efforts and Joe in goal had very little to worry about.

Then with five minutes to go we scored again when following more good approach play down our right flank Henry slotted they ball home.

In the final minutes Uckfield continued to participate fully in the match but there were no major scares for us and at the final whistle we were deserved winners.

In all this was our best team performance so far and every single player deserves a mention but as usual Uckfield contributed to a fine game of football.

Newhaven: Joe Still, Toby Hunter (c), Jimmy Collingbourne, Stephen Nash, George Todd, Alfie Haggar, Alfie Keelin, Josh Carvalho, Scott Pook, Toby Potter-Drake, George Squires, Brad Tait, Henry Thompson, Spencer Wallis, Aaron Winser, Louis Bass.