Newhaven Youth vs Jarvis Brook Youth

10 September 2017
Score: 6 - 2

Match Report

Newhaven U18 6-2 Jarvis Brook U18 (HT 2-2)
George Squires 11, 79, Henry Thompson 25, Spencer Wallis 80, Aaron Winser 81, Josh Silva-Carvalho 88; Jacob Feasey 15, Tyler Miller 20

Newhaven Under-18s, under the new management of Lee Robinson, started their new season with a home fixture against Jarvis Brook Under-18s, who had already played two matches so far.

In previous seasons matches against Jarvis Brook have been competitive with the results fairly evenly distributed, so a tough game was to be expected. The team was led out by captain Toby Hunter for the usual pre-match formalities.

Lee had decided to try out a new team system for this first game by playing with a back three which should give us more attacking options from midfield. The opening 10 minutes were fairly even although Jarvis Brook did have a couple of half chances, but good defending snuffed the efforts out.

We did score after 11 minutes following great play through the centre of midfield when George Squires collected the ball and took on the keeper to slot home.

This goal woke Jarvis Brook up and they took the game to us and equalised a couple of minutes later when we gave the ball away on the edge of our area which allowed a striker to shoot home.

We were deflated somewhat and Brook scored again just a minute later helped by some very poor defending on our part. One of their strikers was allowed to walk into the penalty area and slot the ball home from an acute angle into the net.

A response was needed and in the following ten minutes or so the team did respond and we took the game to Jarvis Brook. Spencer had a shot well saved resulting in a corner and our pressure finally resulted in a goal after 25 minutes when the ball found its way to Henry on the edge of the box, he controlled the ball, turned and scored.

George then headed a chance over the bar from a corner while at the other end Joe in our goal had to save a close range effort and just before half time Henry had a shot just over the bar. 2-2 at half time.

The half time discussion was that we were a little lucky to not be behind and that our performance needed to improve but that we were capable of winning the match.

There were a couple of changes to the team and the early play was improved with a couple of chances created but not taken. Josh shot just wide and he then created another chance for himself but his eventual effort went just over the bar.

We were now on top but Joe had to make a save from a long range effort as the visitors reminded us they were still in the game and a few minutes later Joe had to make a very good save to keep the scores level.

However, we did score a goal after 79 minutes when we took a quick throw in to Josh who ran on into the area before releasing the ball to George to slot the ball home. This encouraged us and following another attack we were awarded a penalty which Spencer took and converted.

Another goal came a couple of minutes later when Aaron collected the ball in midfield and went on a long run passing several defenders before slotting the ball home. We had scored 3 goals in 4 minutes to take control of the game.

Another goal came just before the final whistle when Aaron sent a through ball forward to Josh who collected it and going forward shot in wide of the keepers outstretched hands. This completed a 6-2 win but for a long time in the second half the game was evenly matched until our goal blitz in a four minute spell.

Newhaven: Joe Still, Jimmy Collingbourne, Toby Hunter (c), Toby Potter-Drake, Harry Woodward, George Todd, Stephen Nash, Spenser Wallis, Alfie Haggar, Henry Thompson, George Squires, Brad Tait, Scott Pook, Aaron Winser, Korben Langridge, Josh Silva-Carvalho.