Seaford Town Youth vs Newhaven Youth

24 January 2016
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Seaford Town U18 2-1 Newhaven U18

The first fixture for the U18s since the 22nd November was an away game against local rivals Seaford U18s to be played at the The Crouch.

We were hoping to repeat the result of our home match which we won and to complete the double over Seaford. The team was a strong one although as usual there were some changes made prior to kick off.

Seaford started the match very strongly and we did not get in to their half in the first four minutes and our first real attack came after six minutes when Kyle sent a great pass forward to Chas but he was fouled resulting in a free kick.

This encouraged us somewhat and Kyle sent in a long range effort after eleven minutes but the shot was just wide and a minute later following a great run Charlie’s effort went just wide.

The match was evenly balanced now and Matt in goal had to save an effort from a free kick and following this the ball was played through midfield out to Dan but his shot was saved by the Seaford keeper.

Seaford then launched an attack and only a last gasp block by Jonny stopped a certain goal. However, after 27 minutes Seaford took the lead when the ball was collected by a Seaford striker on the edge of the area to shoot past Matt.

From the kick off we almost equalised when Kyle sent a great bell forward to Chas but his shot went agonisingly just past the post.

We were increasing the pressure and Kyle had a shot from a free kick saved and despite our efforts the goal would just not come. Indeed just before half time Matt had to make a smart save from a free kick. 1-0 behind at half time.

There were some harsh words exchanged at half time and the team was left in no doubt that our first half performance was not good enough and that we had to improve in the second half.

We started well and Jamie created our first chance of the half but his shot was well saved and generally we were in control of the match but had to wait until the hour mark for our equaliser. Jake collected the ball in midfield and released it to Kyle who took on the defender before slipping into the net. 1-1.

For the next 10 to 15 minutes we pressed Seaford back but could not get the breakthrough that we needed and although Seaford were reduced to counter attacks these were effective and they were still very much in the game.

Then in the 82nd minute Seaford scored what was to be the winning goal and despite great pressure by us in the final period we could not breach their defence. The final whistle went and our first match in 2016 was a defeat.

Newhaven: Matt Cramp, Jonny Donegan, Charlie White, Jake Baker-Cliff, Brent Stonard, Harry Mills, Daniel Meekings, William Fermer (c), Ryan Hill, Kyle Woolven, Chandler Perrin, Tayler O’Brien, Jamie Stevens, Dominic Gayler, George Baker, Brandon Cannon.