Bexhill United Youth vs Newhaven Youth

25 October 2015
Score: 1 - 5

Match Report

Bexhill United U18 1-5 Newhaven U18

Last Sunday’s match was an away fixture against Bexhill U18s and was played at The Polegrove, Bexhill, and the team was hoping to continue the recent winning run.

Jack continued in goal and Brandon started the match on the flank with Ryan up front to provide height to the attack and with Tayler missing it was William who captained the team.

The players were advised to ignore the League positions because Bexhill at home can be a difficult fixture and that we would need to be alert and be on our game.

Indeed from the start Bexhill pushed us back and could have scored a goal in the first minute and it was only a very good save from Jack in a one-on-one situation that kept the score level. Then within a minute Jack had to make another very good save to keep a rampant Bexhill team at bay.

Slowly we started to gain a foot hold in the match and began to test the Bexhill defence and it was Jamie who had our first real effort on goal after ten minutes with his shot going just wide.

However, within a minute we were ahead when Jake, in midfield, played a good pass forward to Ryan who collected the ball and went forward sending a shot in which the keeper blocked but the rebound fell to Ryan who then slotted home. 1-0.

Bexhill then reacted positively and the game became very even with a lot of the play in the midfield area but we then created a couple of chances, one from a corner but the header went over and another from a scramble in the penalty area from a free kick but somehow the ball was kept out by the Bexhill defence.

On the half hour mark Jonny brought the ball out of defence and passed up the line to Sam who took the ball forward before crossing to Ryan, but his shot went into the side netting.

As the half was closing we created 3 further chances, one a shot from Jamie that was well saved, another from a Charlie cross that Ryan headed wide and a further shot from Jamie wide of the post.

We were now in added time at the end of the half when Jamie collected a misdirected pass and went forward taking on the defenders before shooting home. 2-0.

The players were instructed to continue to press and close down early and to resist any early pressure from Bexhill from the kick off.

There was early pressure and Bexhill did score a goal after 51 minutes when an attack hit the post and the rebound fell to one of their players to slot home.

Bexhill now sensed a comeback but it was us who scored again within a couple of minutes from a quickly taken throw in from Brandon who released Ryan who went forward and lobbed the keeper from range.

This seemed to deflate Bexhill somewhat and we gained control again and further chances came from Jamie whose shot was well saved and a corner from Will was headed by a defender onto his own crossbar.

Brandon then scored following a great ball from Jake in midfield to Brandon who took on the defenders to slot home from a tight angle. The Bexhill keeper then made a couple of great saves from Chandler and one from Harry and then Chandler tried to chip the keeper but his effort went wide.

Added time was now being played when our last goal was scored by Ed which followed great play by Chandler on the flank before passing the ball inside to Ed to shoot in. 5-1 win.

This was a hard fought victory but in the end a deserved one that could have been different had Bexhill managed to convert their early chances.

Newhaven: Jack Webb, Jonny Donegan, Charlie White, Jake Baker-Cliff, George Baker, Harry Mills, Sam Wilkins, William Fermer (c), Jamie Stevens, Ryan Hill, Brandon Cannon, Callum Winser, Chandler Perrin, Edward Clarke, Brent Stonard.