AFC Uckfield Town Youth vs Newhaven Youth

11 October 2015
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

AFC Uckfield Town U18 2-1 Newhaven U18 (HT 2-0)

The fixture on Sunday 11th October was our first away match of the season against AFC Uckfield Town, who are always a very difficult team to play against and get any points from.

There were no changes to the starting line-up and only three substitutes were taken to this match.

Uckfield started the more strongly and after only a few minutes they had hit our post with a header. This spurred us somewhat and Sam went forward and sent in a cross and was met by Kyle who re-crossed the ball which then went out for a corner and the subsequent header went wide.

Again Uckfield attacked and Matt in goal had to make an important save but again we went forward and a shot from Kyle was saved. We then had a good spell and within a few minutes both Sam and Kyle had efforts on goal blocked by defenders.

Matt then threw the ball out to Sam who went on a long run up the flank and sent in a good shot but again this was blocked by a defender. The match was fairly even with both teams playing good football but the defences were repelling all attempts on goal.

Jamie after good approach play had a shot well saved just before half-time. However, it was Uckfield who scored first from a speculative shot that somehow squirmed under Matt’s body into the net.

Then with a couple of minutes left Uckfield scored again following a break down our left and the cross was not defended well and a tap in followed. 2-0 down at half-time.

The half-time discussion was forceful in that the players were told to cut out the needless free kicks, stop the arguing and self-recriminations and that the team should concentrate on our game plan and by doing so we could get back into this match.

However, it was Uckfield who started the better and they could and should have increased their lead with a couple of attacks but both efforts went begging.

Slowly we got into the match and started to press Uckfield back but their defence repelled every effort but eventually we did score the goal that gave us hope.

Charley started the move down the left flank and cut inside before passing the ball to Jamie who sent in a shot that hit the bar and went down onto the ground. We appealed for the goal and it was the Uckfield linesman that signalled to the referee that the ball had crossed the line.

This set up a frantic final 15 minutes and we pressed Uckfield back but despite a lot of pressure we could not add to our goal tally so the final score was a 2-1 defeat. This was a good football match where both teams tried to play football and the referee played his part in keeping the game flowing.

Newhaven: Matt Cramp, Jonny Donegan, Charlie White, Tayler O’ Brien (c), Brent Stonard, Harry Mills, Sam Wilkins, William Fermer, Jamie Stevens, George Baker, Kyle Woolven, Ryan Hill, Chandler Perrin, Dylan Pritchard.