Newhaven Youth vs Whitehawk Youth

13 September 2015
Score: 0 - 2

Match Report

Newhaven U18 0-2 Whitehawk U18 (HT 0-1)

The fixture on Sunday was a first round match in the Dennis Probee Youth Cup against a Ryman U18 team from Whitehawk and as such this match was always going to be a difficult one.

As is usual there was a team change with Ryan back into the defence and a couple of players were missing because of dual registrations and with another club. This was always going to be a tough match against a very good team but the players were encouraged to play our normal game and not to feel inferior.

All the early play was from Whitehawk and they were pressing us back into our own half but we were defending stoutly and containing their attacks fairly well but without creating any attacks ourselves.

However, Whitehawk did score after ten minutes from a cheap free kick. The ball was sent over into the penalty area and their forward headed home, 1-0 down.

This only spurred Whitehawk on and we had a lot more defending to do and only stout defending from Matt initially then by Harry kept the score at 1-0.

Then we did start to get into the game and Chas sent in a shot from distance that went over the bar but this was our first sight of goal.

However, shortly after a Whitehawk striker received the ball in our penalty area and turned and shot but Matt was equal to it and made a great save.

With half time approaching Matt and Jonny had to combine to keep out another goal attempt, then right on half time Will took a free kick that was met by Ryan but his header was saved. 0-1 at half time.

The talk at half time was still positive because we were only one goal down and had managed to gain a foothold into the game in the last ten minutes of the first half. However, we should not change the format of our game but to try to press more to create some goal scoring chances.

The half started quite brightly but it was Whitehawk who scored again after seven minutes when a shot hit the post and a melee followed with the ball falling to a striker who slotted it home, 2-0 down.

We were still competing well but again not really causing their defence too many problems and it was the opposition that created further chances causing Matt to make another save on 70 minutes. He then had to face a penalty after 83 minutes but this was missed by their forward when he hit the cross bar.

We did create a chance with five minutes to go when Matt took a free kick and Darnel met the cross but his shot was saved. There were no more goals so when the final whistle went the score remained at a 2-0 loss.

Although we had lost the team had played well and had kept to our game plan and should take credit for that.

Newhaven: Matt Cramp, Jonny Donegan, Charlie White, George Baker, Ryan Hill, Harry Mills, Chandler Perrin, William Fermer, Edward Clarke, Tayler O’Brien (c), Brandon Cannon, Callum Winser, Darnel Kiambi.