Westfield Youth vs Newhaven Youth

12 January 2020
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Westfield Youth 1-2 Newhaven Youth

The match on Sunday for the U 18’s was the return away fixture against Westfield U 18’s on the Parish field. Our squad was at full strength so hopes were high that we would that we would do the double over Wesfield but we knew they would be a different proposition at home.

We were kicking with the strong wind in the first half and had our first effort on goal within the first minute but the shot went just wide of the post. Most of the play was in the Westfield half and their keeper made two very good saves to keep the scores level. However our pressure was increasing and we were awarded a free kick on our right flank and Howard came forward to take it and, using the wind, he curled in past the keeper into the goal. 1-0. The pattern of play continued with us pressing and Wesfield resisting and having a few break away attacks but Steve in goal was mainly a spectator. We did manage to score again towards half time when we were awarded a corner which Joey took and the ball eventually found its’ way to the back post and Sam managed to stab the ball home from close range. 2-0. Just on half time Howard took another free kick that was well saved by the keeper. 2-0 at half time.

The players were congratulated on their performance so far but were reminded that the second half would be different playing into the wind but that this might help with our style of play. Westfield, as expected, started positively and Steve had to make his first save of the match deflecting the ball for a corner. They were now pressuring us and were rewarded with a goal after 10 minutes of the half from a free kick that was not cleared and the striker slotted the ball home. 2-1. This goal only increased the pressure we were under with most of the play now in our half although we were playing the ball forward on the flanks to get either Sam or Marley into the game. We did create several chances but we either did not take them or they were saved. Ollie did have one great effort on goal very well saved. At the other end Westfield were awarded a free kick in a very dangerous area but fortunately for us the resulting kick went harmlessly over our cross bar. The rest of the game followed a similar pattern but when the final whistle went we had ground out a win that keeps us in the mix in the league.

This was a very tough game and great credit should go to Westfield for the way they played and I am sure they will get their first win soon. Our players should take a lot of credit also because they had withstood a 2nd half battering and come through it, not a pretty game but a win is a win.

Squad- Steve Beasley, Alfie Webster, Albi Paris, Jack Pullinger, James Lay, Jacob Neel, Soren Bentley (c), Marcus Nicholson, Alex Coghlin, Syd Seymour, Howard Squires, Joey Morris, Ollie Tookey, Sam Dunstall, Marley Ambler.