Newhaven Youth vs AFC Varndeanians Youth

5 January 2020
Score: 6 - 2

Match Report

Newhaven Youth 6-2 AFC Varndeanians Youth (HT 4-0)

The first fixture in 2020 was the return home game against AFC Varndeanians U18’s where we would want to repeat the away win in September. Our squad was strengthened by the return in goal of Steve and outfield players Albi and James, all from illness or injury and a first start for Ben Whitmore.

We started the game on the offensive and were rewarded with a penalty after just 3 minutes for a handball offence and Marley duly converted the opportunity and put us 1-0 ahead. This early goal did settle us into our normal rhythm, but the V’s did respond and from one of their attacks they did hit our crossbar with an effort. However, we in turn increased our pressure and scored again after 19 minutes when Marley collected the ball on the edge of the area and took on the defenders to score from an angle. 2-0. We were in control at this point and nearly scored again from a corner taken by Alex, but his cross was headed just over the bar by Alfie, but another goal did come soon after. The ball was played forward, and Sam collected it and he beat the keeper and slotted the ball into an unguarded net. 3-0. Marley was not to be outdone and scored his hattrick on the half hour when he again collected the ball and went past the defenders to score. 4-0 at half time.

The team discussion was very positive, and the players were told just to carry on playing the system that had got us into the position at half time. The opening period of the second half was positive from us and a free kick taken by Howard was met by Marley, but his header was well saved by the V’s keeper. However, the V’s were warded a penalty that Steve in goal saved but the rebound was converted into a goal. 4-1. This goal, against the run of play, only galvanised us into more effort that was rewarded with a goal after 65 minutes when the ball was played up to Sam and he collected it and after going forward slotted the ball home. 5-1. Sam did score gain, his third of the match when Joey collected the ball and he in turn passed it forward to Sam to score. 6-1. The V’s did continue to press at times and an effort by them was cleared off our goal line by Jacob for a corner and with the final whistle approaching they did score a second goal when there was some confusion in our defence. 6-2 at full time.

This was a very good performance by everyone after a long break and hopefully we will continue to improve in the future games of the season.

Squad – Steve Beasley, Ben Whitmore, Alfie Webster, Jacob Neel, Soren Bentley (c), Jack Pullinger, Marcus Nicholson, Sam Dunstall, Albie Parris, James Lay, Syd Seymour, Howard Squires, Alex Coghlin, Joey Morris