Newhaven Youth vs AFC Uckfield Town Youth

10 March 2019
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Newhaven Youth 3-2 AFC Uckfield Youth (HT 1-1)

The match last Sunday for the Newhaven u18’s was the reverse home fixture against A F C Uckfield u18’s and where we hoped for a repeat result of the win at the away fixture.

AFC Uckfield are one of our main rivals for the Divisional title so a positive result for us would be a great advantage for us in the title run in. There were the usual squad changes with Luke and Aaron missing but Marcus and Sam from the u 16’s included and Kirk making a return. We got off to a flyer and scored after just 2 minutes when we were awarded a free kick which George S took. He passed the ball to Henry who went forward beating the defenders before crossing the ball over and Harry slotted it into the goal. 1-0. This was a great start but Uckfield responded very well and took the game to us, pressing us back and started to create chances on our goal. Steve had to make a very good save from a free kick but the pressure was mounting and Uckfield were rewarded with the equaliser on the 15 minute mark. We managed to misplace a pass and their midfield collected the ball and played it forward and the chance was taken.1-1. A response was needed by us and this materialised and we got back into the game and we thought we had scored again but our joy was cut short by the linesman’s flag for offside. Shortly after Henry went on a great run down our left flank and he cut inside and released a shot that went just wide. 1-1 at half time.

The talk at half time was positive but that we had to increase our tempo and take the game to Uckfield and if we kept to the game plan we could win this game. Well the players had listened and from the kick off pressed Uckfield back in the early exchanges but the next goal was scored by Uckfield. They had an attack and Steve in goal made what we thought was a good covering save but the Referee thought otherwise and awarded a penalty which was duly converted. 1-2. This setback could have derailed our play but the lads stuck to their plan and again took the game to Uckfield and were rewarded with the equaliser on the hour mark. We mounted an attack that resulted in Henry having a shot on goal but the keeper saved his effort but the ball fell to Kirk to score. 2-2. We were now very much in this match and scored again shortly after when Kirk collected the ball and going forward he converted his chance. 3-2. Sam now came on and with his speed he was creating chances but none were converted so at full time we had won the game 3-2 and this result consolidated our position in the League.

We knew this was going to be a very tough match but the players had found a way to win this game despite some setbacks and all of them should be proud of their performance. This result sets us up for the Cup semi-final against Haywards Heath next Sunday.

Squad- Steve Beasley, Steve Nash, George Todd (c), Jake Tomsett, Harry Woodward, Sam White, Fraser Cox, Nathan Lock, Marcus Nicholson, Drew Wain, George Squires, Henry Carey, Louis Bass, Kirk Staley, Sam Dunstall, Toby Potter-Drake.