Eastbourne Town Youth vs Newhaven Youth

24 February 2019
Score: 0 - 5

Match Report

Eastbourne Town u18 0-5 Newhaven u18 (HT 0-4)

The latest match for the U18’s was an away fixture against Eastbourne Town U18’s at the Saffron’s ground in Eastbourne. Eastbourne are currently bottom of the division but they could be a difficult opponent and we could not treat this fixture lightly. The squad included both keepers and there were several changes to the starting line- up but the overall strength was still strong.

Eastbourne created the first effort on goal straight after the kick off and although the shot went over our bar it reminded the team that they were in for a battle. This seemed to galvanise us and in the space of the next 10 minutes we created 4 chances, two from Luke, one for Drew none of which were converted but the 4th one was. Henry collected the ball on our left flank and drove forward before crossing the ball into the area where George S headed the ball firmly past the keeper. 1-0. The next period of play was mainly in the mid-field area from both teams with neither side really testing each other’s keeper. However we did finally increase our tempo again and in the final 15 minutes of the half and scored 3 more goals. The first was from Henry and again came from our left flank where he drove forward and sent in a powerful shot from an acute angle to beat the keeper. 2-0. Drew then won a penalty after driving forward into the area and he duly converted the chance. 3-0. As half time approached Toby P D sent a delightful ball forward from mid-field to Drew who continued forward and crossed into the area and Luke collected to slot the ball home. 4-0 at half time.

The half time talk was a very positive one in view of the score and how we had approached the game but to be aware that Eastbourne would come at us at some point and that we had to manage the game accordingly. Steve took over in goal from Peachy who then became one of our outfield substitutes. We started brightly and scored again after 5 minutes when George collected the ball played up to him and seeing the keeper off his line he chipped him. 5-0. The remainder of the half was controlled by us fairly comfortably and we created a multitude of chances but with a combination of being wasteful and some very good goalkeeping from the Eastbourne keeper we did not add to our score. Peachy did come onto the field on our right flank and did have a header saved so it was a very good all round team performance. On another day Luke could have scored 6 goals himself but he kept on battling and will surely make some team suffer in the near future.

This result keeps us in a good League position but our attention now turns to our cup semi-final next Sunday against Haywards Heath U 18s who are top of the Central division.

Squad- Louis Peach, Steve Beasley, Steve Nash, George Todd, Jake Tomsett, Harry Woodward, Sam White, Toby Potter- Drake (c), Nathan Lock, Fraser Cox, George Squires, Drew Wain, Henry Carey, Louis Bass, Luke Gilligan.