Newhaven vs Chichester City

10 November 2018
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Newhaven 3-2 Chichester (HT 2-1)
Freddie Beale (1), Lee Robinson (24, 73)

Newhaven move up to third after inflicting defeat on top of the table Chichester.

The Dockers flew out of the blocks against the league leaders and found themselves ahead after only 22 seconds.¬† Ian Robinson’s deep cross was met by Freddie Beale at the far post, Beale’s header was blocked and after a minor game of pinball came back to him and he poked home, 1-0.

Newhaven almost had a second moments later, some great link up play between Kyle Woolven and Ian Robinson, saw Woolven work an opening on the edge of the area but his shot was tipped round the post by the Chichester keeper.

Newhaven continued to apply pressure to the Chichester defence, and when Callum Connor ran onto a ball over the top the Chichester keeper charged out and clattered into him giving away a blatant penalty.
Lee Robinson stepped up and confidently put the penalty away to double the Dockers advantage, 2-0.

A third goal seemed on the cards as Newhaven continued to dominate, it almost arrived when a break down the left saw Lee Robinson fire in a low cross which Beale converted, but a late flag against Robinson kept the score at 2-0.

Just before the break a rare Chichester foray forward resulted in a shot from the edge of the area which found its way into the bottom corner to give Chichester a lifeline, 2-1 at half time.

Newhaven started the second half brightly again, a Rhys Smith throw was acrobatically flicked into the area by Ebou Jallow, Lee Robinson set the ball back and Woolven’s shot was blocked by a desperate Chichester leg.

The game then settled down a little with neither side being able to find a way through their opponents defence.

Chichester almost equalised in bizarre circumstances, a low cross spun off Smith and almost looped over Jake Buss in the Dockers goal, but Buss was equal to it and caught the ball before it could cross the line.

Newhaven extended their lead when Seb Saunders released Lee Robinson in behind the Chichester defence, Robinson went round the goalie and rolled the ball into the empty net, 3-1.

Lee Robinson almost sealed the victory but his lob from Jayson Sowter’s long ball came back off the bar.

With 5 minutes to go Chichester pulled a goal back, Newhaven lost the ball in midfield and Chichester broke quickly and curled a shot into the far corner beyond the reach of Buss, 3-2.

This meant a tense finish was on the cards, but Newhaven managed the final few minutes well and comfortably ran down the clock to claim a big three points with a superb team performance against a strong Chichester side.

Next up for Newhaven is the Peter Bentley cup quarter-final at home to Saltdean on Tuesday.

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Freddie Beale (Olly Davies 70), Ian Robinson, Jayson Sowter, Matt Gunn, Rhys Smith, Tristan Jarvis, Ebou Jallow, Lee Robinson, Callum Connor (Seb Saunders 30), Kyle Woolven.
Unused Subs: Ryan Knight, Harry Docherty, Jack Whitmore
Booked: N/A

Attendance: 81
Officials: Adam Parry, Jake Woodman, Philip Baldwin