Newhaven Youth vs Montpelier Villa Youth

28 October 2018
Score: 4 - 1

Match Report

Newhaven U18 4-1 Montpelier Villa U18

Photos from the match can be found at the following link: Newhaven U18 vs Montpelier Villa

The game on Sunday for the U 18’s  was a home League fixture against Montpelier Villa U 18’s who were the current Divisional leaders, this match was the 3rd time we have played this team this season. We have won and drawn the two previous games, one a cup game, so we were hoping for a positive result. There were a couple of new players in the squad on the bench, Jacob Nunnery and Henry Carey, but otherwise the team was a familiar one.

We were kicking against the wind in the first half towards the north end and created our first chance after 4 minutes but Drew’s effort was saved as was Nathans several minutes later. However M V were playing the better football and were passing the ball around confidently in the mid-field area without really creating any real goal scoring opportunities. Indeed Steve in our goal did not have to make a save until the 24th minute, this coming from a corner resulting in a close range effort that he cleared. However  M V were not to be denied and went ahead just a minute later when very poor defending from a corner allowed a cross to be floated into our 6 yard box and the wind caught it and despite Steve’s efforts the ball crossed the line.0-1. The remainder of the half followed the same pattern where M V were playing the ball confidently in the mid-field area and restricting us to the occasional break- a ways without troubling their keeper. 0-1 at half time.

The players were given a wake -up call at half time and were told that their performance was not good enough but that being only one goal behind they could still get a positive result. However the whole team would have to improve greatly and get back to basics and take the game to M V. We did improve and started to press M V somewhat and equalised after 53 minutes. Henry received the ball on our right flank and went forward before crossing the ball which found it’s way to Fraser on the edge of the penalty area who crashed a powerful shot past the keeper.1-1. This goal deflated M V and energised us and we were now chasing the game looking for another goal which came after 71 minutes. We were awarded a corner that George S took and his cross found Myles to head home from close range. 2-1. A couple of minutes later we scored again when Harry sent a great pass forward which Henry collected and he continued forward before slotting the ball home for his first goal for the team. 3-1. Our final goal came from another corner that was taken by Aaron and again his cross was met by Myles to head home. 4-1, and at full time.

Again we had won this game after a very poor first half performance but credit to the players for listening and improving their performance. This result keeps us in touch with the teams around us.

Squad – Steve Beasley, George Todd (c), Jacob Nunnery, Sam Scott, Jake Thomsett, Harry Woodward, Sam White, Toby Potter- Drake, Aaron Winser, Fraser Cox, Nathan Lock, Drew Wain, Louis Bass, Henry Carey, George Squires, Myles Bickmore-Vaughan.