Newhaven vs Wick

9 October 2018
Score: 10 - 0

Match Report

Newhaven 10-0 Wick (HT 2-0)
Lee Robinson (7, 19, 67, 70, 79, 82), Kyle Woolven (78, 89), Ian Robinson (75), Matt Gunn (90+2)

Newhaven hit double figures as they progressed to 3rd round of the RUR cup.

Newhaven started the game well and were in control from the first minute, and it wasn’t long before they went in front. A good team goal started at the back with Matt Gunn finding Rob Malila who in turn picked out Olly Davies, Davies released Seb Saunders down the right and his low cross was turned home by Lee Robinson, 1-0.

Robinson doubled the lead shortly after when he slotted home the impressive Malila’s cross, 2-0.  Robinson almost claimed his hat trick moments later but having gone round the keeper his left foot shot was hacked off the line by a covering defender.

It looked like it could be a long evening for Wick who hadn’t really been in the game up to this point, however the Dockers soon had Jake Buss to thank for preserving their two goal lead, firstly Buss produced a good diving save to deny a long range effort and then followed that up by pulling off a superb save low to his right when it looked like the ball would find the bottom corner.

So the game remained 2-0 at the break, with Newhaven well on top but not being able to extend their lead.

The second half saw Wick continue to try to play football against the Dockers and the game became a frustrating one as Newhaven couldn’t get the all important third goal and Wick started to grow in confidence.

With 25 minutes to go it looked like being a narrow win for the Dockers but that was all about to change.

Kyle Woolven was fouled out wide shortly after coming on, his free kick was headed back to him and his resultant cross found the head of Robinson who nodded home to complete his hat trick and increase the lead to 3-0.

Robinson was at it again moments later when he ran onto Tom Cooklin’s through ball, rounded the keeper and fired in off the post from a tight angle, 4-0.

Next it was the turn of younger brother Ian to get in on the act, a lovely one-two with Woolven saw ‘Little’ Robbo clean through and he made no mistake smashing the ball past the keeper, 5-0.

Woolven then made it 6-0 when he cut inside from the left and curled a low shot across the keeper into the far corner.

The seventh followed almost immediately, it was a Woolven/Robinson combination again, with Woolven beating his man and crossing for Lee Robinson to head home, 7-0.

With ten minutes to go the same combo struck again, Woolven releasing Robinson in behind the defence and Robbo’s angled drive crashed in off the bar for his sixth of the night!, 8-0.

Woolven then got his second when he was picked out by a long clearance from Buss, he raced away before driving into the area and firing a left foot shot into the top corner, 9-0.

In injury the Dockers put the icing on the cake with their tenth.  Woolven and Jack Whitmore exchanged passes following a short corner, and Woolven then got his 5th assist of the evening when his deep cross was headed in at the back post by a soaring Matt Gunn, 10-0.

A great result and an unbelievable final 25 minutes mean that Newhaven progress to play Uckfield at home in the 3rd round (scheduled for 30/10).

Next up for the Dockers though is an FA Vase match against Rusthall at home on Saturday.

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Rob Malila, Ian Robinson, Ebou Jallow (Jack Whitmore 72), Matt Gunn, Connor Sidwell, Olly Davies (Kyle Woolven 65), Triston Jarvis (James Rhodes 70), Lee Robinson, Seb Saunders, Tom Cooklin.
Unused Subs: Tom Watson, Harry Docherty
Booked: N/A

Attendance: 41
Officials: Daniel Jeferry, Philip Wilks, Aidie Sanchez-Norman