Mile Oak Youth vs Newhaven Youth

7 October 2018
Score: 1 - 4

Match Report

Mile Oak U18 1-4 Newhaven U18 (HT 1-2)

The U 18’s finally had a fixture on Sunday against Mile Oak U 18 which should have been at home but was switched to an away fixture because of the Newhaven Ladies F A Cup match in the afternoon. Mile Oak are unbeaten so far in the League so we knew that to get anything out of this match we would have to be at our best.

We were playing against the wind in the first half and the opening period was fairly even with both sides trying to play attacking football but to a large degree cancelling each other out. Our first effort on goal did not come until the 7th minute when Drew had a shot that was saved by the M O keeper and a few minutes later Fraser sent a header goal ward from a corner but this was also saved. Although we had created a couple of chances we were not playing to our full abilities and we fell behind to the first goal of the game on the 15 minute mark. M O were awarded a corner and very poor defending allowed the ball to be deflected into our goal. 0-1. A response was required from us but this did not happen and the game continued in the same tempo as before. However there was an injury to one of our players and while treatment took place the players were given a team talk and the expected response then finally started to gather momentum. Slowly we started to get more control and to press M O back and were rewarded with the equaliser on 38 minutes when we were awarded a free kick. Aaron went forward to take it and sent his effort towards the goal and although the keeper got to the ball it went over the line.1-1. This encouraged us even more and we scored again on 41 minutes through Louis Bass when great play up our right flank saw Drew send over a cross which found Louis to slot home. 2-1.

The players were congratulated on their play for the final 15 minutes of the half but were reminded that the first 30 minutes were not acceptable and that we had to play the second half as we finished the first half. Indeed the players did respond and all the pressure came from us and we won a series of corners but did not really create any goal scoring opportunities. Mile Oak then had a spell of control but again did not create any real threats to our goal and during this period we were relying on counter attacks. Myles went on one of his runs from our area all the way forward but his eventual shot went over the bar. After this spell we again started to press and won several free kicks from which all went over the bar. However our pressing finally resulted in a goal from a clearance from Steve in goal when the ball found Marley whose first effort was saved but he reacted quickly and slotted the rebound in. 3-1. We were looking for more goals now and our 4th one came in injury time and came from a cross from our right flank and George Squires latched on to the ball to force it home. 4-1 at the final whistle.

This was a tough game against a good team but overall we deserved the win but the players must concentrate for the whole match not just parts of it.

Squad – Steve Beasley, George Todd (c), Harry Woodward, Sam Scott, Sam White, Aaron Winser, Nathan Lock, Toby Potter- Drake, Fraser Cox, Louis Bass, George Squires, Drew Wain, Myles Bickmore- Vaughan, Marley Ambler.