Sidley United Youth vs Newhaven U18

16 September 2012
Score: 0 - 2

Match Report

The match on Sunday 16th September was away against Sidley at the Gullivers ground.

There were a couple of changes to the team with George Collison starting at the back and Daley Tucknott moving into midfield.

Although Sidley were bottom of the division the team were warned to respect them and that we would have to play well to get the win. We started very well and took control early creating several chances that were not converted.

However Luke Vidler had to make a good save after 5 minutes. Sidley then eased their way into the match and Luke had to make further saves although Max Stevens shot wide after 20 minutes and on 33 mins a great run by Harry Millar who passed back to Max Stevens only for his shot to be blocked by defenders.

Several further chances came and went towards half time, a great cross from Max was missed by everyone and Harry had another shot saved by their keeper. 0-0 at the half time.

The half time message was to shorten our play and use the flanks to get behind the two central defenders.

A substitution was made as Kieron Austin had picked up a knock to his knee, so Ashley Foord came on up front with Daley moving back to defense, Tom Turned going to right back and George moving forward.

We created further chances, William Herriott headed over a cross from Frazer Johnstone and an overhead kick by Ashley went wide and Tom shot over after great play to make the chance.

The breakthrough came after 65 minutes. Harry Millar won the ball in midfield and with his right foot scored with a very good shot. This spurred the team on and again we took control but were always wary of a break away causing us problems.

On 75 minutes William was replaced by Mike Baker and a couple of minutes later George was replaced by Jay Thornton.

The second goal came in injury time when Jay won the ball in midfield and played the ball forward to Harry to score his second goal with his right foot.

The final few minutes were played out to record our second win of the season and our third match without conceding.

Special mention should be made to Rhys Williams for volunteering to run the line for the team and Sidley for their hospitality.

Luke Vidler, Kieran Austin (Ashley Foord), Fenton Boaks, Daly Tucknott, Dan Green, George Collison (Jay Thornton), Harry Millar, Frazer Johnstone, William Herriott (Mike Baker), Tom Turner, Max Stevens.