Shoreham vs Newhaven

6 October 2015
Score: 2 - 3

Match Report

Shoreham 2-3 Newhaven (HT 1-1)
Craig Goodsir 13, Melford Simpson 90; Craig Bunch 43, Lee Robinson 88, 90

Newhaven are through to the Second Round of the Parafix Sussex Senior Challenge Cup after a 92nd minute winner from Lee Robinson saw them overcome Shoreham at Middle Road on Tuesday evening.

The victory marks the Dockers’ tenth consecutive win in all competitions, but they were made to work had for it by a Shoreham side who were reduced to ten men early in the second half.

Newhaven joint-manager Sean Breach was pleased to keep the winning run going at a place where the Dockers have struggled in the past.

“All in all it was a good win, against a side with a new manager who has a good background behind him,” said Breach. “He has brought in a lot of new players so it was a bit of an unknown going there, and also Shoreham has never been a happy hunting ground for us.

“We are in the middle of a really tough fixture list, with games on Saturday and Tuesday for five weeks running, and also throw in extra-time on top of that against AFC Uckfield Town last week. It was an ideal time to rest a few players carrying little knocks, so to get through the tie and keep the winning and unbeaten run going was really pleasing.”

It was the hosts that broke the deadlock in this contest, after 13 minutes, when a one-two between Craig Goodsir and Melford Simpson saw the former finish superbly in to Jake Buss’ top corner.

The Mussels had a penalty shout correctly waved away by referee Nigel Baker, and Buss stopped the home side doubling their advantage with an excellent save.

Newhaven grew in to the game late in the half and Robinson saw an effort diverted on to the post by goalkeeper Seb Bos.

Bos, however, could no nothing to stop the Dockers equalising with two minutes of the half remaining. Robinson was played in behind by Olly Davies and striker’s cross was turned in from close range by Craig Bunch.

“We didn’t get off to the best of starts and Shoreham seemed to be winning every first and second ball, every header and we just couldn’t get going,” added Breach. “They went one up via an excellent finish but they didn’t have too many clear cut chances after that.

“We changed things around a couple of times during the first half to try and find a solution that would work for us and around the half hour mark we found it, and I felt from then on we looked dangerous and started getting on the ball more.”

The second half started evenly, but the home side’s cause was not helped by a moment of madness from Farzad Bidgood, who planted an elbow in to Bunch’s head, giving referee Baker no option but to show him a red card.

Davies was denied by Bos, with 70 minutes on the clock, and Bunch couldn’t quite turn his headed rebound on to the target. Up the other end, Buss had to get across well to keep out Goodsir’s 25-yard free-kick.

With just two minutes left of the ninety, and extra-time looming, Robinson looked to have given his side a winner. He latched on to a Joe Dryer pass in behind and confidently beat the onrushing Bos for 2-1.

But the hosts had other ideas and just two minutes later were back on level terms again. A corner from the left wasn’t defended by the Dockers and Simpson was on hand to bundle the ball over the line.

The crazy ending to the match wasn’t finished there, though, and a moment of brilliance from Robinson finally sealed the tie. He received the ball from Rob Boddy, had a touch, turned, and from 25-yards struck a shot which flew past Bos and in to the back of the net.

“Their lad really let his mates down with an assault on Bunchy,” Breach continued. “He ran ten yards to plant an elbow on him, right in front of the referee, and to be fair to Shoreham’s players and staff they all apologised, which obviously wasn’t for them to do. But from them on I felt we were in control, but still didn’t particularly threaten them much.

“We introduced Joe Dryer and James Rhodes for the last 20 minutes and this gave us a bit more quality in the final third. And when Robbo put us 2-1 up you thought that was game over. But they went straight up the other end to bundle the ball over the line and we were looking at extra-time – which was the last thing we needed.

“Luckily Robbo popped up with a bit of magic and scored a fantastic goal to win the game in the last minute. It was a goal that deserved to win any match to be honest.”

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Conor Sidwell, Scott Edwards, Jayson Sowter, Ryan Knight, Adam Kneller, Lee Robinson, Rob Boddy, Connor Jones (Joe Dryer), Craig Bunch (c) (James Rhodes), Olly Davies. Unused subs: Harry Eyre, Ryan Walton, Scott Dartnall.
Booked: Sowter

Attendance: 52
Officials: Nigel Baker, Keith Brisley, Andy Higgins