Hailsham Town vs Newhaven

8 September 2015
Score: 1 - 4

Match Report

Hailsham Town 1-4 Newhaven (HT 0-2)
Danny Leach 57; Callum Connor 20, Ryan Walton 29, 53, Jamie Salvidge OG 60

Two goals in each half saw Newhaven comfortably beat Hailsham Town 4-1 at the Beaconsfield on Tuesday evening as they maintained their unbeaten start in the Southern Combination Football League Premier Division.

First half goals from Callum Connor and Ryan Walton set the Dockers on their way, before Walton notched his team’s third early in the second half. Danny Leach cut the visitor’s advantage to two but Town captain Jamie Salvidge turned a Scott Dartnall corner in to his own net to kill any chances of a comeback.

It was the second league game in a row that Newhaven have scored four goals, having beaten Hassocks 4-0 in their previous encounter, and joint-manager Sean Breach was thankful for the strength in depth of his squad.

“The day didn’t start out particularly well with Joe Dryer and Rob Boddy pulling out the squad at 1pm,” said Breach. “On top of that James Rhodes and Ollie Davies both being out meant we were again digging deep within the squad.

“However, we are fortunate that we have strength in depth in every area at the moment and it really showed again today. We have only had a full squad to choose from once or twice this season but you wouldn’t think so from our results, and it’s a credit to the lads that we have signed on in both the senior and Under 21s squad.

“On Saturday, with Bussy missing, we called upon 19-year-old keeper Joe Walker, who kept a clean sheet against Guildford, and tonight we called up young Ian Robinson at very late notice and he came on and made a big impact on the game.”

The home side were the first to force a save in the game as Leach’s curling shot from 20 yards was turned behind by Jake Buss, and at the other end Adam Kneller went close with a free-kick from the same distance.

Then came an early controversial moment when, with just eight minutes on the clock, Connor was brought down with the striker through on goal. Referee Chris Hamilton deemed a yellow card as suitable punishment.

Conor Sidwell could have done better with a free header from a corner, after Kneller had headed back across goal, but with 21 minutes played the Dockers were ahead.

Kneller clipped a pass in behind the Town defence and Connor got to the ball before goalkeeper Ben Head. Head got a finger to Connor’s header but not enough to keep it from nestling in his net.

Ebou Jallow sent a tame shot at Head when in a good position, but then was part of a sweeping counter attack that saw the visitors double their lead.

The hosts had a corner, which they played short, and the ball was intercepted by Dartnall. A quick break saw Jallow find Robinson, who then set Connor away. He turned and found Jayson Sowter who unselfishly played the ball to Walton, who’s accurate shot beat Head and a despairing lunge on the line.

Town threatened with ten minutes of the half left to play but Buss was equal to Salvidge’s attempt. And it was the same story down the other end as Head kept out a Connor effort.

“I felt we started the game brightly again, as we did against Hassocks and Guildford,” Breach continued. “They really should have gone down to ten men after ten minutes when Cal Connor was brought down last man.

“I think it was one of those where it was quite early in the game and to be fair to the ref he did explain his decision, however, it was pretty stonewall and nine times out of ten the defender walks. We didn’t let that effect us though and we scored two very good, well taken goals.”

A Newhaven third goal seven minutes in to the second half settled any nerves. Sidwell sent a searching pass down the right hand side for Walton, who advanced from a tight angle and beat Head at his near post.

The home side were back in with a shout a couple of minutes later when a stray pass on the halfway line saw them break. Buss kept out Sam Divall’s original effort but the ball found its way to Leach who made no mistake from six yards.

Hailsham then had a goal disallowed for offside as they applied pressure on the visiting defence.

But that pressure was killed off by a fourth Dockers goal on the hour mark. Dartnall’s first corner was cleared at the near post for a second corner, which this time was flicked in to his own net by Salvidge.

Leach twice tried his luck from outside the area but was off-target on both occasions, and Lee Robinson was denied by the legs of Head after combining with Jallow.

Ian Robinson, the younger brother of Lee, was introduced and was immediately in the action when he pounced on a short back pass, but he was denied by an alert Head. Lee himself then suffered the same fate after working a shooting opportunity, as the game finished 4-1.

“We knew they would come at us second half which we had to soak up, and once that period died down we got hold of the game again and deservedly scored a third,” added Breach.

“Frustratingly we then go and give a sloppy pass away which was intercepted and they break and score. Then the game livened up a bit from their perspective and we were under a bit of pressure for five or so minutes, with them having a goal disallowed for offside.

“However, to give our lads credit, the way they responded to this was impressive and we deservedly got a fourth. We then missed a few chances – Bunchy was unlucky not to get on the end of one, both Ian and Lee Robinson missed one-on-ones and Walton had a couple of decent opportunities.

“The last ten minutes Hailsham had their best spell and probably deserved a goal but we held out and I was really pleased at picking up the three points against a side who I believe will do well this season.

“I’ll be honest, I was dreading this game. I have said all along that I believe Hailsham will suprise a few this year and with players like Danny Leach and Sam Divall they can cause you problems, and they do try and get the ball to these two as quickly as possible.

“Luckily for us Kneller and Knighty were at their best and didn’t give them much of a sniff all night. Going forward Lee Robinson was fantastic. Not just with the ball but his work rate was phenomenal.”

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Conor Sidwell, Scott Dartnall, Harry Eyre (Daniel Murray), Ryan Knight, Adam Kneller (c), Lee Robinson, Jayson Sowter, Callum Connor (Ian Robinson), Ryan Walton (Craig Bunch), Ebou Jallow. Unused subs: Scott Edwards, Geroge Loraine.
Booked: Sowter

Attendance: 92
Officials: Chris Hamilton, Alex Hall, Michael Hayward