Newhaven vs AFC Uckfield Town

15 August 2015
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Newhaven 2-1 AFC Uckfield Town (HT 0-1)
Ryan Walton 57, Lee Robinson 76; Elliott Wood 3

Newhaven made it three wins from three Southern Combination Football League Premier Division games as they came from behind to beat AFC Uckfield Town 2-1 at the Trafalgar Ground.

The three points sees the Dockers climb to the top of the league table, having played a game more than most, and is also their best start to a season in nearly two decades.

The visitors took the lead in rather comical circumstances as Ryan Knight’s over hit back pass gave Elliott Wood the easiest of finishes.

But Newhaven turned things round in the second half and goals from Ryan Walton and Lee Robinson saw them claim all three points to leapfrog next week’s opponents Horsham YMCA.

Dockers joint-manager Andy Cook praised his side’s second half performance after what was a disappointing first 45 minutes for the hosts.

“The first half was very poor,” said Cook. “We went in at half-time one down, which was an awful goal to give away, and in truth we could have been five down and it wouldn’t have been unjust.

“There were some home truths dished out at the break and the second half was a different story. We were excellent after the break and deservedly came back and won the game 2-1 with goals from Walton and Robbo.”

The deadlock was broken as early as the third minute and set the tone for a lacklustre first half for Newhaven.

Knight had done well to fend off an attacker but his pass across goal to Jake Buss was out of the goalkeeper’s reach and Wood was on hand to find an empty net.

The Dockers’ only attempt on target in the first half came in the ninth minute when an Ollie Davies cross was sent tamely in to Nick Collick’s arms by Walton.

The home side rode their luck on two occasions during the first half an hour. First a goal-bound shot was diverted in off the back of an offside Town player, then, later on, a scramble in the Newhaven box saw the visitors hit the post and have two strikes at goal cleared off the line.

Wood had a chance to double his side’s advantage but was thwarted by Buss, and either side of that Walton and Robinson were both off-target with efforts from outside the area.

Newhaven had to improve and they levelled things after twelve minutes of the second period. Ebou Jallow found the run of Robinson who’s shot was palmed away by Collick, but only to the feet of Walton who only needed one touch to find the back of the net.

Some half chances followed for both teams with Buss needing to be alert to another short header back to him, and substitute Drew Greenall seeing a mazy end run end with a shot that drifted narrowly wide. Up the other end Rob Boddy’s attempted lob was safely held by Collick.

Newhaven made a slight tactical change, which saw Robinson move up front, and the change paid dividends as the hosts found the important third goal.

Walton received the ball from Scott Edwards and made his way down the right hand side, before sending Robinson in-behind the Town defence. Collick rushed off his line but Robinson got to the ball first and prodded it past the goalkeeper to give the Dockers the lead.

The away side had a couple more chances to earn a point but ex-Docker Mikey Lloyd hit the post with a header, and Greenall dragged wide when well positioned late on.

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Scott Edwards, Scott Dartnall, Rob Boddy, Ryan Knight, Conor Sidwell, Lee Robinson, Jayson Sowter, Ebou Jallow, Ryan Walton (Chris Geer), Ollie Davies. Unused subs: Ben Earle, Freddie Beale, Daniel Murray, Jordan Burstow.
Booked: Sowter, Walton, Robinson, Boddy, Edwards

Attendance: 82
Officials: Nick Blogg, Chris Macinnis, Steve Walker