Newhaven vs Haywards Heath

9 September 2014
Score: 3 - 1

Match Report

Newhaven 3-1 Haywards Heath Town (HT 2-0)
Tyler Goatcher 41, Lee Robinson 45, Adam Kneller 85; Adam Bates 81

Newhaven are in to the third round of the Peter Bentley Challenge Cup after a 3-1 win against Division Two side Haywards Heath Town at Fort Road on Tuesday night.

Tyler Goatcher and Lee Robinson scored two goals in the space of five minutes, just before half-time, to give the Dockers a 2-0 lead at the interval.

Adam Bates pulled one back for the visitors with ten minutes to play, but Adam Kneller made the game safe when he fired in from close range.

The hosts made five changes to the team that started the FA Vase defeat on Saturday. Jason Goddard, Sean Breach, Jack Loraine, Ollie Davies and Goatcher were all given starts in place of Daniel Murray, Scott Marshall, James Rhodes, Ebou Jallow and Craig Bunch respectively.

The first chance of the match came 12 minutes in when Davies’ cross found Goatcher four yards out. The Newhaven striker couldn’t connect properly and the ball was cleared off the line by Town goalkeeper Paul Upfold.

Goatcher went close again when he saw a shot saved on to the bar by Upfold, and Lee Robinson then had an effort deflected behind for a corner.

The closest the away side came was after a swift counter attack from a Newhaven corner. Nathan Stepney found Josh O’Brien who saw his near post effort beaten away by stand-in skipper Jake Buss.

Davies struck the upright from a tight angle, but five minutes before the break the deadlock was broken.

The Dockers kept the ball well around the Town box and Brad Murray eventually found Goatcher. He made space for himself and from the edge of the area drove a shot past Upfold.

One quickly became two when a Davies cross was turned in to the net by Robinson, given the home side a two-goal advantage at half-time.

Town’s George McMahon forced Buss in to smart stop 8 minutes in to the second half as the visitors looked to get themselves back in to the game.

Davies saw a left footed shot sail over at one end, as did Heath’s Tom Kilner-Brown, who tried to chip the Newhaven goalkeeper.

Robinson should have done better when he was played in by Loraine but saw his curling effort drift wide with Upfold beaten.

Rob Clark also had a good chance when he pounced on some hesitant Dockers defending but poked his shot narrowly wide.

Town did manage to force themselves back in to the game with ten minutes left to play. Clark did well to turn and drive at the Newhaven defence and find substitute Bates. He took a touch and drove a shot towards goal that Buss was unable to keep out.

Any fears of a comeback were dampened when Newhaven found a killer third goal. Goddard had seen a shot saved by Upfold and a minute later a Marshall corner dropped in the box for Kneller to smash in to the top corner from ten yards.

Town had one last chance when Clark was denied by Buss from a tight angle and the final whistle went soon after.

Newhaven will now travel to Dorking Wanderers in round three.

Newhaven: Jake Buss (c), Jason Goddard, Ryan Knight, Sean Breach, Scott Edwards, Adam Kneller, Lee Robinson, Brad Murray (Scott Marshall), Tyler Goatcher (Martin Stephen), Jack Loraine, Ollie Davies (Craig Bunch). Unused subs: Daniel Murray, Ryan Walton.
Booked: None

Attendance: 59
Officials: Toby Pinesmith, Chris White, Gary Manville-Dickens