Pagham vs Newhaven

30 November 2013
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

A depleted Newhaven came from behind to earn a point at Pagham, as they drew 1-1 for a second consecutive Saturday.

The Dockers, missing no fewer than nine regular first team members, played their part in an entertaining game that saw both goals scored in the space of two second half minutes.

James Temple had given his side a 68th minute lead, but Jack Webber raced on to a Sean Breach pass to level just a minute later.

The Newhaven starting line-up saw four changes due to suspensions and unavailability. Terry Gacias and Joe Dryer were serving one-match bans, while James Rhodes and Daniel Murray were otherwise engaged.

Replacing them were Jason Goddard, Scott Edwards, Chris Geer – who was making his first team debut – and reserve top goalscorer Webber.

The visitors started brightly and almost went ahead when Lee Robinson struck the near post from a tight angle. Webber also saw a chance go begging when he couldn’t connect with a Robinson cutback.

James Temple and Scott Murfin were keeping the Dockers defence occupied and Jake Buss was being kept busy by the ‘little and large’ Lions strike partnership, including a couple of decent stops.

Newhaven again hit the post when a Tyler Goatcher shot rattled the upright and the striker also forced Pagham goalkeeper James Binfield in to a speculative save when he tried his luck from 30 yards.

Another Murfin effort was saved by Buss and Temple was off target as the sides went in at the break all square.

The open, end-to-end nature of the game continued in to the second half. Tom Jefkins fired a shot over and Temple went close on a couple of occasions. At the other end Robinson shot well over after working some space.

The deadlock was broken by the hosts after 68 minutes. Temple found himself through one-on-one with Buss and this time made no mistake as he found the corner of the net.

They say you are at your most vulnerable after scoring, and that was the case here as Newhaven equalised within a minute. Jayson Sowter found Breach, who turned and played an inch-perfect ball for Webber to run on to and finish past Binfield.

Both teams were looking for the three points and it was making for a decent game. Geer was found by Robinson, but he could only shoot straight at Binfield, and Sowter fired wide after being picked out by the same player.

Ruben French, Joe Briggs and Temple all went close for the hosts but the best chance to win the game fell to Webber.

Deep in to injury time Robinson broke free and fed the ball to Webber but, with just Binfield to beat, he put his shot well over.

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Jason Goddard, Ryan Knight, Jayson Sowter, Adam Kneller, Scott Edwards, Lee Robinson, Sean Breach (c), Tyler Goatcher, Chris Geer, Jack Webber. Unused subs: Fenton Boaks, Martin Stephen.
Booked: None

Attendance: 37
Referee: Jamie Gilham