Newhaven vs East Preston

23 November 2013
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

Newhaven became just the second team to stop East Preston winning a league game this season, as they fought out a 1-1 draw at Fort Road on Saturday afternoon.

The unbeaten Division One leaders had dropped just two points from a possible 39 going in to the game, but were left frustrated by a disciplined Dockers display.

After a goalless first half it was the hosts that took the lead – Adam Kneller’s quickly taken free-kick catching out goalkeeper Joel Harding.

Charlie Farmer headed in an equaliser 12 minutes later, before the visitors were reduced to ten-men when Kevin Keehan was shown a second yellow card for dissent.

Newhaven manager Paul Harrison made three changes to the team that started the RUR Cup defeat at East Preston on Tuesday night.

There were recalls for Daniel Murray, Jayson Sowter and Tyler Goatcher as they replaced Jon Trotter, who has left the club, Scott Edwards and Jack Webber.

Having played each other just four days before, both sides had an idea of what to expect.

The confident visitors had won 13 straight games coming in to the fixture and should have taken an early lead but Adam Hunt dragged his shot wide of Jake Buss’ right hand post.

Newhaven settled themselves and were defending well, keeping the division’s two top goal scorers – Liam Baitup and Joe Shelley – at bay.

Goatcher had a good chance for the home side, when he was found by former EP player James Rhodes, but his firm effort was kept out by Harding.

Another good chance came and went for Newhaven when a Murray cross found its way to Lee Robinson who was again thwarted by Harding, before seeing his follow up effort cleared off the line.

The visitors counter attacked and almost broke the deadlock themselves when Darren Boswell, who scored twice against Newhaven at the Lashmar on Tuesday, worked some space but he sent his shot wide of the target.

The second half continued in the same fashion until just after the hour when the Dockers took the lead.

Joe Dryer was fouled just outside the East Preston penalty area and, with Harding organising his wall, Kneller asked referee Robert Myhill if he could take the kick quickly. Myhill said yes and Kneller found the far corner with aplomb.

The visitors upped the tempo and Buss had to tip over a long range, dipping strike from Baitup.

The leveller did arrive with just over 15 minutes to play. A free-kick was whipped in to the box by Hunt and the ball was glanced in to the far corner by Farmer for 1-1.

East Preston were then reduced to ten-men when Keehan disagreed with a Myhill decision and was shown a second yellow card.

Despite the man disadvantage it was the league leaders that looked most likely in the remaining minutes. A free-kick and a corner deep in to stoppage were defended by Newhaven and the game ended 1-1.

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Jayson Sowter, Daniel Murray, Terry Gacias, Ryan Knight, Adam Kneller, Lee Robinson, Sean Breach, Tyler Goatcher (Craig Bunch), James Rhodes (Fenton Boaks), Joe Dryer (Mark Probert). Unused subs: Scott Edwards, Shaun Tait.
Booked: Kneller, Bunch

Attendance: 77
Referee: Robert Myhill