East Preston vs Newhaven

19 November 2013
Score: 3 - 1

Match Report

Newhaven bowed out of the Sussex Principal RUR Charity Cup after losing 3-1 at current holders East Preston.

Report from eastprestonfc.co.uk

EP started well and took the lead in the opening 5 minutes as a lovely move involving Farmer and Shelley saw the skipper play a great reverse pass to Hunt whose initial shot was blocked before he blasted home the rebound for his first of the season.

Despite the good start the home side seemed to then go into their shell as Newhaven put them under some pressure and had a good spell. First they could have scored when Boyle dwelled on a back pass and nearly had his clearance closed down and then from an EP corner the pacy Robinson broke but could only fire his shot into the side netting.

Former EP player Rhodes then shot at Boyle after Farmer had failed to clear his lines. EP went up the other end and some good work from Hunt and Sadough saw Shelley fire over.

The next spell was all Newhaven as they played some nice possession football and a Newhaven shot required a full stretch save from Boyle. Then disaster struck for the cup holders as a hopeful ball sent into the EP box saw Boyle and Shelley get into a mess and the Newhaven striker was on hand to tap it home for an equaliser they deserved.

This seemed to break EP out of the lull they had got in and a lovely ball from Clark should have seen his side re-take the lead but Sadough inexplicably fired wide with just the keeper to beat to bring to a close a lively half of football.

The second half saw an envigorated EP hit the ground running in a much more one sided affair. Within 3 minutes Hunt should have done better when his free kick was too straight and fell into the keepers hands.

Then when the keeper came flying out to tackle the onrushing Boswell the ball rebounded to Hunt who hit a long shot from distance which the Newhaven keeper was able to get back and save.

Five minutes into the half EP won possession in midfield and Boswell burst clear only for his shot to fire wide. Then finally the breakthrough came. On 54 minutes Axell won the ball deep in his own half and played a great through ball that Boswell latched onto and the lively winger despatched with aplomb and despite some discussion between referee and linesman the goal stood.

Just a minute later the game was put beyond Newhaven as a fast break saw Clark play Sadough who played a great reverse past to Hunt who burst in on goal and unselfishly centred to Boswell who took a touch away from the defender and blasted home.

EP were happy to retain possession and see the game out in the last 15 minutes but Sadough could have had a fourth when a lovely Hunt cross was miss-headed wide when unmarked.

Newhaven had to play the last few minutes with 10 men as Boswell again raced clear but this time he was unceremoniously bundled down and as last man the defender had to go and EP were able to advance into the next round.

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Jon Trotter, Ryan Knight, Terry Gacias, Adam Kneller, Scott Edwards, Lee Robinson, Sean Breach, Jack Webber (Connor Jones), James Rhodes, Joe Dryer. Unused subs: Daniel Murray, Ian Robinson.
Booked: Kneller, Rhodes
Sent Off: Edwards

Attendance: 26
Referee: Steven Hughes