Ringmer vs Newhaven

31 August 2013
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Newhaven picked up their first away win of the season as they beat Ringmer 2-1 at a sun soaked Caburn Ground on Saturday afternoon.

The victory moves the Dockers up to fourth in the fledgling Division One table – just under three years since they went rock bottom of Division Three after defeat at Sidlesham.

Newhaven controlled large parts of the first half and went in at the break 2-0 up – Lee Robinson helping himself to his first and second league goals of the season.

The hosts pulled a goal back in the second half through a William Trickett penalty, and applied some late pressure, but Newhaven held on for the three points.

The visitors made three changes to the team that began the defeat at St Francis on Bank Holiday Monday.

Jayson Sowter, Sean Breach and Ebou Jallow all returned to the starting eleven in place of Freddie Beale and Terry Gacias, who were on the bench, and Tyler Goatcher who was unavailable.

Despite being pointless from their two previous away fixtures Newhaven started the game brightly.

Dave Altendorff sent a header wide from a corner and Mark Probert couldn’t quite adjust his feet in time to finish after Josh James had mishandled a cross.

The home side had a number of corners and free-kicks in semi-dangerous positions but the Dockers defended well to clear any danger.

And it was from one of those Ringmer corners that saw Newhaven break the deadlock.

Jake Buss claimed the cross and sent a searching drop-kick down the pitch for Robinson to run on to. Robinson killed the ball dead with his first touch and advanced towards goal, drawing out James, before slotting home.

The visitors continued to apply the pressure and were rewarded with a second goal five minutes before half-time.

It was Robinson again running on to a long pass forward, this time from Greg Manton, and with James not knowing whether to come or go Robinson lifted the ball over his head and in to the net for 2-0.

The away side were unable to keep up the same intensity in the second half, allowing Ringmer to push further up the field, but Buss was rarely tested.

Newhaven were looking for a killer third goal but again James wasn’t called in to a meaningful save.

The Dockers were defending well and searching a first league clean sheet. That looked possible until referee Michael Ryan, to the bemusement of the entire Newhaven team and staff, awarded Ringmer a penalty.

Jason Goddard went in to block a Billy Trickett effort which was already half way to Barcombe, when Ryan pointed to the spot for reasons which are still unknown.

Trickett picked himself up and converted the spot-kick to set up a tense final 20 minutes.

The goal spurred the home side on but the best they could do was a Jordan Stubbings header which was saved by Buss.

Newhaven saw out the remaining few minutes to claim the three points in this ‘local derby’.

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Jayson Sowter (Jason Goddard), Ryan Knight, Dave Altendorff, Greg Manton (c), Scott Edwards, Lee Robinson, Sean Breach (Terry Gacias), Jake Holmes, Mark Probert, Ebou Jallow. Unused subs: Freddie Beale, Daniel Murray.
Booked: Breach, Sowter, Goddard.

Attendance: 51
Referee: Michael Ryan

[yop_poll id=”24″]


Ryan Knight
Lee RobinsonGoalGoal
Sean BreachYellow Card
Mark Probert
Dave Altendorff
Scott Edwards
Ebou Jallow
Jake Buss
Greg Manton
Jayson SowterYellow Card
Jake Holmes


Jason GoddardYellow CardSub
Terry GaciasSub