Newhaven vs AFC Uckfield

17 August 2013
Score: 3 - 0

Match Report

Newhaven are through to the 3rd Round of the John O’Hara Cup after a 3-0 win against AFC Uckfield at Fort Road.

The Dockers were made to work hard for the win by a dogged Uckfield side but ran out comfortable winners in the end and will now travel to either Eastbourne United or Storrington in Round Three.

Jake Holmes scored on his home debut to put Newhaven ahead before Tyler Goatcher rounded the goalkeeper for his third in two games. Lee Robinson got his first of the season when he completed the scoring with a late third.

Newhaven made five changes to the team that started the midweek win against Rye. Jason Goddard and Freddie Beale replaced Daniel Murray and Ryan Knight in defence.

Terry Gacias returned to the starting line-up in place of Dave Altendorff, and Holmes and Ebou Jallow picked up their first starts of the season, in for Mark Probert and Naim Rouane respectively.

The first half of this cup tie was far from entertaining for the 70+ in attendance.

Dockers appeal for penalty.

Dockers appeal for penalty.

The recently relegated Oaks weren’t allowing the hosts to settle, forcing a number of errors all over the park. They were, however, unable to force Jake Buss in to a noteworthy save.

Aaron Capon drove a shot over the bar and Jamie Lindsay had an effort deflected behind for a corner. George Callingham also had an attempt fly narrowly wide.

Despite that it was Newhaven that had the three best chances of the half. First Robinson lifted an effort over the bar, then Goatcher dragged a shot well wide before Holmes blazed over when well placed in the box.

The Dockers were also denied what looked a stonewall penalty when a shot was blocked by an Uckfield arm.

Newhaven upped their tempo in the second half and got themselves ahead around the hour mark.

Holmes celebrates his first Newhaven goal.

Holmes celebrates his first Newhaven goal.

And Goatcher celebrates making it 2-0.

And Goatcher celebrates making it 2-0.

Robinson has to stretch to make it 3-0.

Robinson has to stretch to make it 3-0.

A short corner between Robinson and Gacias saw the latter cross deep in to the box. Goddard headed back across goal and Holmes was on hand to sweep left footed in to the far corner.

Five minutes later and the home side had a second. Greg Manton found Robinson in the middle of the park, he turned and burst forward before releasing Goatcher. The striker’s touch took him round the goalkeeper and he slotted in to an empty net.

With ten minutes to go Newhaven made it 3-0. After some neat footwork on the halfway line, Gacias sent an excellent ball over the top for Robinson to run on to. Having already beaten the ‘keeper, Robinson’s second touch was a little heavier than he would have liked but he poked the ball in on the slide.

The home defence saw out any late danger as Newhaven kept their first clean sheet of the new season.

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Jason Goddard, Freddie Beale, Terry Gacias, Greg Manton, Jayson Sowter (Daniel Murray), Lee Robinson (Naim Rouane), Sean Breach, Tyler Goatcher, Jake Holmes (Jake Forward), Ebou Jallow. Subs not used: Dave Altendorff, Mark Probert.
Booked: Goddard

Attendance: 72
Referee: Richard Cherryman

[yop_poll id=”21″]


Freddie Beale
Lee RobinsonGoal
Sean Breach
Jason GoddardYellow Card
Ebou Jallow
Jake Buss
Greg Manton
Terry Gacias
Jayson Sowter
Tyler GoatcherGoal
Jake HolmesGoal


Daniel MurraySub
Naim RouaneSub
Jake ForwardSub