Newhaven vs Rye United

14 August 2013
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Newhaven picked up their first win of the season as they came from behind to beat Rye United at Fort Road on Wednesday evening.

A storming second half performance saw the Dockers turn around a 2-1 half-time deficit and claim their first three points since returning to Division One.

Mark Probert scored for the second time in as many games to put Newhaven ahead, but Evan Archibald equalised soon after and then Gregg Berry gave the visitors the lead.

The hosts pushed on in the second half and were rewarded with two Tyler Goatcher goals – the first a penalty following a handball and the second to win the game after a swift counter attack.

Newhaven made two changes from the weekend defeat at Worthing United. Jayson Sowter and Sean Breach replaced Freddie Beale and Terry Gacias respectively.

Beale and Gacias joined Jason Goddard, Scott Edwards and Ebou Jallow on a strong bench.

The home side started the game well and, just like the match at Worthing, got themselves in to an early lead. Breach whipped in a cross from the right that evaded a defenders head and found Probert, who’s touch set him up to finish coolly past Camara in the visitors goal.

The lead was short lived though as United levelled three minutes later. Archibald got the better of Greg Manton and chipped Jake Buss to equalise for the visitors.

With 20 minutes played Rye completed a swift turnaround. Berry pounced on a mistake in the Newhaven defence and again finished well past Buss to put his side 2-1 up.

Lee Robinson had a couple of chances to level but blazed one just over the bar and saw another effort kept out by Camara.

Archibald crashed a header against the post from a corner and United had another attempt at goal blocked on the line by Breach as the teams went in to half-time at 1-2.

The Dockers took the game to their visitors in the second half but were denied by either the injury stricken Camara or the woodwork. Goatcher crashed an effort against the crossbar and Jallow, on for Rouane, saw a deflected shot hit the same spot.

The game changing moment came on 65 minutes when Dominic Cruttenden was penalised for handball inside his own box. Goatcher stepped up and sent Camara the wrong way for 2-2.

The momentum was now with Newhaven and ten minutes later they took the lead for the second time in the game. Goatcher was found by Robinson and he remained composed to round Camara and finish in to an empty net.

The hosts almost made it four when Robinson cut in from the right, but his low left footed effort hit the upright.

United had one last chance to level in stoppage time when a long throw in to the box found a Rye player, but Sowter was on hand to throw himself in to a block and deny an almost certain equaliser.

Newhaven: Jake Buss, Jayson Sowter, Daniel Murray, Dave Altendorff (Terry Gacias), Greg Manton, Ryan Knight, Lee Robinson, Sean Breach, Tyler Goatcher, Mark Probert (Freddie Beale), Naim Rouane (Ebou Jallow). Subs not used: Jason Goddard, Scott Edwards.
Booked: Altendorff, Goatcher, Robinson, Sowter.

Man of the Match: Lee Robinson
Attendance: 106
Referee: Dane Johnston

[yop_poll id=”20″]


Ryan Knight
Lee RobinsonYellow Card
Sean Breach
Daniel Murray
Mark ProbertGoal
Dave AltendorffYellow Card
Naim Rouane
Jake Buss
Greg Manton
Jayson SowterYellow Card
Tyler GoatcherGoalGoalYellow Card


Freddie BealeSub
Ebou JallowSub
Terry GaciasSub