Little Common Youth vs Newhaven U18

21 April 2013
Score: 3 - 3

Match Report

The penultimate match for the U18’s for this season was an away fixture against Little Common on Sunday.

There were several players missing so the starting line up was changed and looked somewhat different to the usual team. George Collison came out of retirement to go into goal with our usual keeper, Luke Vidler, playing as a central defender alongside Frazer Johnstone, captain for the match. Thomas Turner and Fenton Boaks completed the defence compliment.

This game was always going to be tough and so it proved. Early pressure from Common almost led to a goal but great defending by Tom and then Ian Robinson denied them.

We also created a chance when Ian sent a great cross over only for Frazer to direct his header over from close range. Then Harry Millar had a shot just wide.

The game was fairly even with both sides battling in midfield and creating further chances to score. Our cause was not helped when Toby Cane twisted his knee after only 14 minutes and was replaced by William Herriott.

However, it was Common who drew first blood when they broke into our penalty area and scored although there was a suspicion of offside but despite protests the Referee let the goal stand.

As half-time approached we put Common under a lot of pressure and several chances were created but not converted. First was a free kick from Frazer that went to Jonno Bennett who shot wide, then Harry Millar played a ball to Luke down our left side and another cross came over to Jonno who again shot wide.

Then the defence played the ball out to Ian who took on and beat the defender and crossed to Jonno whose shot went wide.

Half time 1-0 down. The team was told that most of our problems had been self induced and were not down to Common outplaying us. Therefore if we cut out the errors we were quite capable of winning this game.

The message must of got through because we were level within 30 seconds of the restart. Shaun Tait passed the ball to Ian who went forward and slid the ball to William who went forward and scored with a great shot.

We looked more confident now and took the game to Common. Jonno battled well and won the ball which led to a corner which was cleared.

It was Common, however, who scored next on 55 minutes when we lost the ball in midfield and a scruffy shot went in.

Our response was excellent and we were level again 10 minutes later when Harry took a free kick and his shot eluded everyone and went straight in. Harry was then substituted and replaced by Rhys Williams because of the number of matches Harry had played recently.

Three minutes later we were ahead when Shaun played the ball to Ian who interplayed with William before scoring his goal.

However we were pulled back again when George in goal fumbled a cross allowing their forward to score an easy goal. Despite several chances by both teams in the final minutes there were no further goals so a 3-3 draw was the result.

At least we had stopped our run of defeats and again the whole team can be satisfied with their standard of play and application. Man of match goes to Luke Vidler because of his excellent play in defence. Funniest moment also involves Luke for shouting Keepers ball when jumping up to head a cross out.

George Collison, Tom Turner, Frazer Johnstone (c), Luke Vidler, Fenton Boaks, Jay Thornton, Toby Cane (Will Herriott), Harry Millar (Rhys Williams), Ian Robinson, Jonno Bennett, Shaun Tait.