Seaford Town Res vs Newhaven Res

12 April 2013
Score: 0 - 6

Match Report

After the abandoned match on Wednesday at Shoreham the Reserves quickly returned to action on Friday night with a thumping win over near neighbours Seaford.

A Gary Holmes hat-trick, two goals from Jack Webber and a free kick from Richie Watton gave the Dockers a comprehensive 6-0 victory and moved up a place to 5th in the league.

A few changes to the starting line up saw Jason Edwards and Richie Watton return from injury and Tom Stevenson back in the side on the left wing. Luke Duchossoy failed a fitness test before the start of the match due to a back injury.

From the first whistle the Dockers took control of the match with Seaford playing deep and allowing the away side time and space in midfield to move the ball. Cullinane and Holmes dictated the pace in the middle of the park and Watton was a menace playing in a free role behind Simon Blaxall.

It wasn’t long before the Dockers took the lead when on 12 minutes Blaxall was fouled on the edge of the area and Watton stepped up to bend the free kick low into the bottom corner (0-1).

Seaford had a rare attack when a ball over the top allowed the Seaford winger to get in behind the Newhaven defence but skipper Barry Knight scrambled back and blocked the strike with what the Seaford players thought was an arm but the referee gave a corner.

Tom Stevenson was now becoming an influential player on the left wing linking up well with Jason Edwards and he was unlucky not to score when he cut into the penalty box but just overran the ball when he looked destined to score.

On the half hour mark the Dockers second goal came from Gary Holmes who bundled the ball over the line from close range after Webber had been denied.

The Dockers took a comfortable 0-2 lead into the break.

The second half commenced but there was no let up in the pressure from Newhaven. The only surprise was it took 15 minutes of the half before the third goal and again this came courtesy of a close range strike from Holmes after good work from Blaxall (0-3).

3 became 4 ten minutes later when a corner was headed back across goal by Calum Burnett and Jack Webber’s first headed attempt came back off the bar but he was quickest to react and smashed the rebound in (0-4). Tom Mason was brought on to replace Richie Watton shortly after.

Gary Holmes then completed his hat-trick when he drove into the penalty area but was brought down from behind giving the referee no option other than to award a penalty. Holmes quickly grabbed the ball, placed on the spot and drove the ball into the bottom corner (0-5).

Luke Chatterley was introduced for Calum Burnett in defence and Fenton Boaks came on for the tiring Simon Blaxall.

The Dockers saved the best goal of the night for the last 5 minutes. A through-ball from Cullinane found Webber who was now playing as the lone striker. Up against two defenders his flick and turn saw him skip past these and through one on one with the keeper. He then calmly slotted it past the onrushing keeper to complete the emphatic scoreline (0-6).

Another excellent result for the Reserves sees their unbeaten run stretch to 6 games now. However the next match is a trip to Hassocks in the Reserve Cup Quarter Final. Hassocks are currently top of the Reserve Section Premier and have yet to lose a match in the league this season.

Harry Stewart, Joe McTiffen, Jason Edwards, Barry Knight (c), Calum Burnett (Luke Chatterley), Harrison Cullinane, Gary Holmes, Tom Stevenson, Jack Webber, Richie Watton (Tom Mason), Simon Blaxall (Fenton Boaks). Unused sub: Joss Slowey.