Newhaven U18 vs AFC Uckfield Youth

28 February 2013
Score: 2 - 4

Match Report

The U18’s were given an evening match against Uckfield which provided an opportunity to gain revenge for our 7-0 loss at their ground.

As is usual there were several changes to the team with Bradley Curl coming in to the defence and Thomas Turner moving to midfield.

The pre-match instructions were to press forward and to restrict their ability to put pressure on us as they did in the first game. This game plan worked very well as we took control of the match and started to create chances.

The first after 10 minutes came when Shaun won the ball deep in our defence and played forward to release the ball to Harry who tried to lob the keeper. A minute later we had a goal disallowed for offside and then shortly after Harry sent a great ball across to Max who shot just over.

We were in control with Uckfield relying on playing a long ball through to their quick forward but our defence was keeping solid.

We had a second goal disallowed for offside after 15 minutes but our first goal came shortly after. Shaun won a free kick which Harry took and the ball found its way to Bradley to score his first goal for the team.

A further chance was created when the defence played the ball out on the left side to Harry who went forward and tried to lob the keeper who made a very good save.

Our second goal came after 28 minutes when Shaun played the ball to Max who played onto Frazer to play to Harry to score, great team play. Uckfield were still playing the long ball and on 35 minutes Luke in goal had to make a great save with his feet to stop them scoring. Just before half time Harry had two further shots, one saved and one just wide. 2 – 0 at the break.

The half time talk was positive and the team were told to keep control and continue to play as we had been doing. Well those instructions were totally ignored as we meekly gave away three goals in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

The first came from a penalty and two more quickly followed as we gave away possession too easily. Uckfield were in control now and increased their lead after 74 minutes to lead 4-2. We did rally towards the latter stages of the game but failed to score any more goals.

Substitutes used were Joss for Max, Jonno for Bradley and Toby for Jay.

A very disappointing result given how well we had played in the first half.

Luke Vidler, Kieron Austin, Fenton Boaks (c), Bradley Curl (Jonno Bennett), Max Stevens (Joss Slowey), Daniel Green, Thomas Turner, Harry Millar, Frazer Johnstone, Jay Thornton (Toby Cane), Shaun Tait.