Bexhill United Res vs Newhaven Res

9 February 2013
Score: 4 - 2

Match Report

Newhaven Reserves’ dismal form continued at the Polegrove on Saturday as Bexhill inflicted the 7th defeat on the trot for the Dockers.

They fell 2 goals behind in the first 20 minutes and, despite pulling two goals back from Gary Holmes and Damien Lambert before half time, they still conceded another to go into the break 3-2 down and then allowed Bexhill to get a 4th late in the second half to kill the game.

Two changes to the side saw Matt Harrison and Damien Lambert return to the starting line up.

The Dockers started the game slowly and were on the back foot early on. They conceded two sloppy goals in the first twenty minutes, one of which was a corner which was headed against the bar and rebounded back to Bexhill strikers who took it in turns to head goalwards until it eventually was bundled over the line.

Eventually Newhaven decided to start playing and when a free kick was whipped in by Tom Mason, Gary Holmes flicked it past the keeper to reduce the arrears to one.

Ten minutes later a through-ball from Cullinane found Lambert free on the left and he challenged the onrushing keeper and eventually rolled the loose ball into the net from 20 yards.

Now the Dockers were back in the game and Duchossoy had a great chance to score a third but failed to beat the keeper when through on goal.

Harry Stewart then made a fine save down low to his right however the hard work was undone when Newhaven conceded again before half time when the Bexhill striker was played in over the top and took an ambitious shot which sailed over Stewart into the top corner. (3-2 HT).

An early change in the second half saw Webber introduced for Stevenson as the Dockers were looking to press for the equaliser. Holmes had a good chance when free in the box but he tried to guide his shot into the corner and it was tipped wide.

Lambert played some decisive crosses in from the left but they were cleared by the Pirates defence. The Dockers huffed and puffed but could not find an equaliser and with ten minutes left on the clock a long throw in found its way right across the Dockers 6 yard box and was headed into an empty net to finish the game 4-2.

Another desperately disappointing Saturday afternoon for Newhaven.

Next week a short trip to Piddinghoe Avenue to play league leaders Peacehaven.

H.Stewart, J.McTiffen (J.Tomkins), M.Harrison, B.Knight, C.Burnett, T.Mason (c), H.Cullinane, T.Stevenson (J.Webber), D.Lambert, G.Holmes, L.Duchossoy. Unused sub: A.Cook.