Westfield Res vs Newhaven Res

5 January 2013
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Newhaven Reserves kicked off the New Year with a defeat at a very boggy Westfield which means 4 losses in a row in all competitions.

After an early Westfield goal Luke Duchossoy equalised in the first half but despite dominating the match thereafter, they could not gain the lead and eventually conceded a 2nd goal in the last few minutes of the match to slump to another league defeat.

Mark Probert made his first appearance for the Reserves this season in midfield and was accompanied by Sam Leppard who was making his first start of the season. Nigel Wallace was also in the squad for the first time but had to settle for a place on the bench.

Westfield started the game at a fast pace and could have taken the lead in the first minute but for a goal line clearance from Joe McTiffen.

Newhaven took time to adjust to the heavy conditions and it wasn’t long before Westfield took the lead when a clearance fell to Peter Baker on the edge of the area and he calmly shot past Harry Stewart.

This proved to be the wake up call the Dockers needed and Probert soon went close with a header from a Duchossoy cross which was well saved by the keeper. Soon after a corner fell to Calum Burnett outside the area and his crashing shot was somehow turned over the bar by the keeper again.

The Dockers now looking dangerous from set pieces finally got the equaliser from another corner which was eventually scrambled over the line by Duchossoy.

Further long range efforts from Probert and Holmes did not trouble the keeper as the teams went in 1-1 at half time.

The second half became a battle as the pitch deteriorated further. Stewart was called into action a few times saving speculative long shots but it was the Dockers who continued to press.

Duchossoy had a header just wide and Holmes sent a shot from distance wide. Jack Webber had the best chance when he found space in the area but his shot narrowly went wide of the post.

Tom Stevenson and Nigel Wallace were introduced for Webber and Mason and the game appeared to be heading for a draw until the last minute when a Westfield attack looked to be fizzling out but the ball was kept in play to the Dockers defences surprise. With the defence out of position the cross came in and was headed into an open net by Baker for his second of the game and the winner.

A very disappointing finish to the first match of the New Year.

Next week sees the visit of Rye Reserves to Fort Road in the second round of the Reserve Section Cup.

H.Stewart, J.Mctiffen, T.Mason (c) (N.Wallace) , B.Knight, C.Burnett, S.Leppard, M.Probert, J.Webber (T.Stevenson), L.Duchossoy, G.Holmes, D.Lambert. Unused sub: A.Cook