Crowborough Athletic Youth vs Newhaven U18

9 December 2012
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

The latest match for the U18’s was an away fixture at Crowborough, who had beaten us 4-2 at home.

We knew that Crowborough would be physical and would try to stop us playing our passing game and this is exactly what happened.

We settled into our rhythm and passed the ball around well and created an early chance from an Ian Robinson corner, but Daniel Green headed the ball over.

Crowborough played on the break but without really creating anything while we continued to pass and move. Harry Millar had a good shot saved just after the half hour but the half time score was 0-0.

At half time the team talk was about continuing to pass and move but with more urgency and with a couple of tactical changes for a couple of players. This almost came undone shortly after the restart of play when we were caught napping, but luckily for us their forward completely missed the chance.

However, Crowborough took the lead after 55 minutes with a great long range shot that gave Luke Vidler in goal no chance to save.

This was against the run of play but the team responded very well and drew level just 3 minutes later. Ian Robinson won the ball and ran down to the bye line and won a corner that he took and which was met powerfully by Toby Cane to head past the keeper, 1-1.

We were again on top and scored our second goal 5 minutes later when Harry Millar took on their defence and fired in a great shot which their keeper saved but he only parried it to Max Stevens who coolly slotted the ball in.

Max then carried the ball down the right flank and crossed for Harry but his shot flew over and later Harry hit the post with a great shot and then fired wide shortly after.

At the other end Luke made an excellent save from a free kick to keep us ahead. The match then went through a controversial 10 minute spell late in the game when the Crowborough players were denied what they thought was a penalty. They put the referee under a lot of pressure to award free kicks for perfectly legal tackles and some players were cautioned for excessive protests. Luckily this period passed and with no further scoring we ran out the winners.

The substitutes were-on 65 minutes Jay Thornton was replaced by Frazer Johnstone, 10 minutes later Ian Robinson by Jonno Bennett and on 78 minutes William Herriott by Jack Maltby.

The man of the match was Daniel Green whose defensive play was extremely good often under great pressure.