Newhaven U18 vs Sidley United Youth

2 December 2012
Score: 6 - 0

Match Report

The fixture this weekend was our first home game since 30th September and our opponents were Sidley.

The game was in doubt because of the overnight frost and the referee decided to delay the kick off to give the pitch a chance to thaw out. The situation was helped greatly by the hard work of all of the players and their efforts paid off when the kick off took place at 11:30.

As is usual there were team changes with William Herriott starting up front and Harry Millar on the subs bench.

The early exchanges were fairly even, although Luke Vidler had to make a save from a free kick in the first minute, but we did create a series of corners at the other end. We had more control of the ball limiting Sidley to breakaways and this led to our first goal in the 13th minute. Ian Robinson collected the ball on the right side and drove forward and his shot beat the keeper.

The pitch was now very soft and caused players from both teams to make mistakes but we were in control and our second goal came after 38 minutes. Max Stevens attacked down the left side and then crossed the ball which was collected by Frazer Johnstone and he scored with a powerful shot from distance.

There were other chances, Max had a great shot tipped onto the crossbar by their keeper and free kick by Ian was headed on by William but the ball just evaded our attacking players. 2-0 up at half time.

The half time talk concentrated on keeping possession and being aware of the long ball played with the wind into the heart of our defence. The pattern of play remained the same, we had control and Sidley had a reducing number of breakaways.

Their keeper saved one on one from William who was replaced by Harry Millar on 58 minutes. Our third goal came after great play by Toby Cane, who took the ball out from midfield, then passed it to Ian who broke down the left side and sent in a low cross for Max Stevens to tap it into the goal.

This goal seemed to deflate Sidley and their attacks reduced and it was no surprise when we increased our goal tally. Frazer Johnstone was replaced by Jay Thornton in midfield. The 4th goal came from an Ian Robinson corner which was met fully by Kieron Austin who headed powerfully into the goal.

The 5th goal came after very good link up play from Fenton Boakes who played to Toby, who passed to Ian, who rolled the ball to Thomas Turner to score.

The final substitution came on 71 minutes when Ronald Gorah replaced Jonno Bennett. The 6th and final goal came from a great free kick from Harry Millar which was saved by the keeper but the rebound dropped to Jay Thornton to tap it into the goal. There were other chances with Harry having a good shot saved.

Overall a very good performance on a difficult surface and great credit should go to everyone. The man of the match goes to Toby Cane who, after sorting his studs out, produced a superb performance in midfield. Mention should also go to Rhys Williams who volunteered to run the line.