Eastbourne United Youth vs Newhaven U18

11 November 2012
Score: 4 - 2

Match Report

After an enforced break because of the weather the team’s latest fixture was against Eastbourne United away at The Oval in Eastbourne.

Ian Robinson was still injured but other than that there were still three substitutes available for a strong looking lineup. Both teams lined up after the respect handshakes and the minutes silence, this being Remembrance Sunday.

When the game started Eastbourne took control and they were rewarded with a goal after just 5 minutes.

We were struggling to get the ball out of our own half and the lead was doubled after 10 minutes when Kieron Austin gave a penalty away, which was duly converted.

However, slowly we got back into the game and started to press Eastbourne back into their half and our first shot came form Harry Millar which was saved with the ball falling to Jonno Bennett, but his shot was also saved.

We had to make a substitution after just 25 minutes when Joss Slowey was injured following a heavy tackle, with Max Stevens replacing him.

At least now we were competing on equal terms and creating chances, William Herriott had a shot hitting the crossbar and bouncing down onto the goal line and away and just before half time a great cross from Fenton Boakes was not met by anyone.

The second half was a lot better for most of the period because we controlled the game for long periods and created our first chance within 4 minutes of kick off. Harry sent over a great cross only for the resulting header to flash wide.

We kept pressing and Harry scored our first goal after 57 minutes, following a ping pong session in the penalty area, by slotting the ball in.

We were on top now and looking for the equaliser which came just 5 minutes later when we were awarded a free kick in our right hand side about 25 yards out. Harry lined the ball up and sent in a fabulous free kick which the keeper had no chance, great goal.

All of a sudden we were looking the most likely to score again and with Tom Turner looking tired after his exertions he was replaced by Jay Thornton to bolster the midfield area.

However, we did not make the most of our dominance and only a great save by Luke Vidler kept the scores level but we were punished by two goals in a 4 minute spell.

A dubious free kick was given against us and we switched off and allowed their players to attack centrally with the ball going through a ruck of players into the net.

A couple of minutes later we thought we had been given a goal kick but the referee gave a corner and the ball was headed in unchallenged.

The final substitution came with 10 minutes to go with Rhys Williams replacing Jonno Bennett. We pressed forward looking for goals and Jay had a good shot saved following good approach play by Frazer Johnstone and Max Stevens and finally Daniel Green sent a powerful header just wide of the post.

Another defeat but apart from two brief spells we fully competed in this match and are unfortunate not to get something out of it.

Man Of Match – Harry Millar.

Luke Vidler, Kieron Austin, Fenton Boakes (c), Daniel Green, Thomas Turner (Jay Thornton), Harry Millar, Frazer Johnstone, William Herriott, Sam Baker, Jonno Bennett (Rhys Williams), Joss Slowey (Max Stevens).