Newhaven Res vs Hailsham Town Res

6 October 2012
Score: 3 - 1

Match Report

Newhaven jumped above Hailsham Town in Reserve Section East after a comfortable 3-1 win at Fort Road on Saturday afternoon.

Ebou Jallow put the Dockers ahead with a close range finish and then Damian Lambert doubled the lead just before half-time.

Ryan Walton made it 3-0 with a tidy finish midway through the second period, and with the last kick of the game Hailsham notched a consolation.

Newhaven made five changes from the team that started the cup victory over East Preston. Paul O’Donnell returned to the side at left-back, replacing Josh Tomkins. Bradley Keith was unavailable so Gary Holmes came in to midfield.

Jallow replaced Tom Stevenson on the left of midfield and Freddie Beale, returning from suspension, replaced Jack Webber on the right. The other change saw Walton start up front, in place of Liam Keith, who joined Tomkins, Stevenson, Kieran Doherty and Lee Robinson on the bench.

Newhaven continued where they left off the previous week by having the majority of play in the first half, and creating a number of good chances.

Top scorer Lambert was particularly wasteful when he missed two one-on-one opportunities.

Newhaven seemed to be getting behind the visitors defence at will and it was only a matter of time before they made a chance pay.

The first goal eventually came in the 22nd minute when Walton, who was played through by Joe McTiffen, found the run of Jallow who calmly slotted in to the net.

Harry Stewart was relatively quiet in the Newhaven goal and only had a couple of routine saves to make.

The hosts got a second before half-time when Jallow unselfishly squared for Lambert, who this time could not miss from 10 yards out.

The second half was much the same as the first. Hailsham had a 15 minute period after the break where they upped the tempo but again were unable to create anything meaningful.

Calum Burnett twice had chances from Newhaven corners – the first a header which was saved, and then he didn’t connect with a volley soon after.

A third goal did come for the home side though. Stevenson, on for O’Donnell, flicked the ball through to Walton who turned and hit an excellent left footed shot across the goalkeeper and in to the far corner.

Newhaven introduced Keith for Walton and the substitute went close when his turn and shot was saved down low.

There was to be no clean sheet, however, as the Town striker found a way through the otherwise stubborn Newhaven defence and fired past Stewart.

It was the only downside of an otherwise comfortable win for the Dockers who climb to fifth in the league with games in hand on those above them.

Little Common visit Fort Road on Friday night (12th October).

Harry Stewart, Joe McTiffen, Calum Burnett, Barry Knight, Paul O’Donnell (c) (Tom Stevenson), Freddie Beale, Tom Mason (Kieran Doherty), Gary Holmes, Ebou Jallow, Ryan Walton (Liam Keith), Damian Lambert. Unused: Josh Tomkins, Lee Robinson.