Saltdean Youth vs Newhaven Youth

26 January 2020
Score: 0 - 4

Match Report

Saltdean Youth 0-4 Newhaven Youth

The fixture last Sunday for the U 18’s was an away game against Saltdean U 18’s where we hoped to improve on our performance in the home fixture earlier in the season when we lost 3-1.

The squad was only missing one player, James Lay but there was a new player available, Charlie Pynn. Saltdean kicked off playing with the wind and immediately took the game to us and won a series of corners although nothing of note came from these. Slowly we started to get a foothold in the game and managed to create several attacks mainly down the flanks and Howard got a shot on goal deflected for a corner, but a goal kick was given. Saltdean then thought they had scored but this “goal” was disallowed for a foul on Steve and shortly after we hit the Saltdean post with an attack. However, we were gaining in confidence and were now taking the game to Saltdean and were rewarded with a goal on 23 minutes. Howard played the ball forward from mid-field towards Sam and the keeper came out to tackle him but lost the ball and Sam slotted the ball home. 1-0. Saltdean reacted to this goal and created a promising attack but Steve was equal to it making a great 1 on 1 save to preserve our lead. The game was fairly even at this point, but it was us who scored again after 35 minutes when Howard again played the ball forward for Marley to collect and continue forward before scoring. 2-1. Within a minute Sam had another chance to score but his effort was well blocked by a defender but just before half time we did score again and again Howard was involved. He played the ball forward for Sam to collect and continue the move before beating the keeper and scoring. 3-0 at half time.

The talk was very positive and the only instruction was to expect a Saltdean response and for the defence not to go to far forward as this may expose us to a quick counter attack. Indeed, it was Saltdean who created the first attack and it took another very good save by Steve to keep them from scoring early in the half. Marley then had a shot that went just wide of the post and Saltdean had another “goal” disallowed for a foul on a defender. We were playing the ball around very well and keeping Saltdean in their own half and restricting them to an occasional break away attack but Steve was called into action again to preserve our lead. Alex then took a free kick and his shot beat the keeper but not the cross bar. The final whistle was fast approaching when we were awarded a free kick on our right flank and Marcus took this and his shot beat the keeper and went in at the far side. 4-0 at full time.

This was a very good team performance and keeps us in the mix at the top end of the table but Saltdean were very much in this match and Steve had to make 3 very important saves during the game.

Squad- Steve Beasley, Jack Pullinger, Albie Paris, Alfie Webster, Soren Bentley (c), Jacob Neel, Alex Coghlin, Marcus Nicholson, Syd Seymour, Joey Morris, Ollie Tookey, Marley Ambler, Howard Squires, Charlie Pynn, Sam Dunstall